Heartwarming Experience at Stoneybrook Lodge

By : Marine Thianthong (Bangkok, Thailand)

Stoneybrook volunteering was so memorable.

We were divided into two groups; one to Corvallis Manor and one to Stoneybrook Lodge. My group was at Stoneybrook Lodge. My first thought after I got assigned to visit Stonybrook was  “Will I be able to do the best I could as I always do?” Before I went there, Stoneybrook volunteering experience seemed really challenging to me. I had never worked with seniors before. This was literally my first time doing it.

What I experienced at Stoneybrook was really touching. There was one senior named ‘Tom Nelson’. First, he entered the meeting room and asked who come from Thailand. I was really afraid if anything in Thailand had disappointed him during his visit.  However, it turned out to be a really sweet story.

Tom was once a Beaver at Oregon State with his Thai friend. In the past, they used to make contact quite often, but as the time went by, things changed. He tried his best to contact this friend, but unfortunately, the luck was not on his side. Even though he failed several times, he won’t stop trying. Tom showed me the letter written by his Thai friend’s son. He asked me if there is any way I could find in order to contact his friend. Tom said he wants to know how his friend is doing and whether the son will get to be what he wishes in his career.

As I am an “Internet person,” I tried searching his son’s contact information. I found the son’s e-mail and wrote it down for him. He said ‘This absolutely brightens up my day.’ A short sentence that got my eyes teary.

Tom teaches me to be patient and never give up; where there’s a will, there’s way. It has been more than ten years since he lost contact but he has never given up on his destiny.

Thank you, Tom.

2 thoughts on “Heartwarming Experience at Stoneybrook Lodge”

1. A touching story indeed, Marine.
    However, the learning from your experience also has given me a good thought. Great !!