Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu

Where we would be without Betty Holberton  January 25th, 2016

The person I am picking for my research project is Betty Holberton. Betty Holberton was a women who helped create different aspects of the computer system. From being one of the first six women to be a “computor” on a large scale, to helping the Navy create different codes, this women was miraculous.

Betty Holberton was from Philadelphia, PA. The culture from that side of the United States is not that astounding, but the culture difference from 1917 to now a pretty large gap. Back when Betty was contributing to the science world, it was very looked down upon to be doing so. A lot of people in that era did not understand why she would want to work with computers instead of getting married ad having babies. Understandably so due to the times, but at the same time a darker time in our history.

The technology Betty created, like I have said previously, were huge progressions for our society. She contributed to the United States first advanced computer switch board, as well as design first prototypes of our key boards. The color tan for our original key boards was actually picked out by M. Betty herself!

Betty unfortunately died in 2001 from heart failure. She lived from 1917 to 2001, and boy did she accomplish a lot in that time!

If Betty Holberton was still alive today, I would want to ask her about the journey she went on. I feel that it would be a scary place to feel inspiration in a time of women suppression in the scientific field. I would also want to ask her about how she felt getting hired, and if the amount of forward technology scared her, or excited her?