An Applicant at Bo&Vine

When I first transferred to Oregon State I remember being basically broke after being a student athlete at my former school without a source of income outside of the occasional late night DoorDashing. Going from basically being taught to make baseball and school my “job” to now having just school and a whole lot of free time was an adjustment, but I knew it was time to start working again. One of my roommates at the time knew I was looking for work and recommended I stop by the restaurant he works at to drop off a resume and application. An easy lead, this was great. I remember going in the same day to drop off my resume, but was unable to find an application anywhere. From this point on, it was a waiting game to see if I would even get a callback. Not to say I was throwing all of my eggs into one basket hoping I’d get this job, but in reality I was. Working with my roommate who I already made fast friend with was appealing from the beginning and I was tired of wandering downtown Corvallis aimlessly, leaving my resume from business to business. A call didn’t come my way for more than a week, and by this point I had basically lost hope and accepted that my name had just been thrown into the most likely massive mix of people who had also dropped their resume’s off there as well. In the Dixon rec center while sweating my ass off on one of the exercise bikes and sharing an airpod with a buddy of mine, a call came my way. An unknown number, could it be? My initial thought was to just avoid the call because it was probably a spam call but I picked it up anyways. I was called in for an interview scheduled for the following day. Interview day came, and I wore a polo shirt and slacks. I sat around for 5-10 minutes in the lobby waiting for the manager to interview me and finally he walked out and sat in front of me. The way he conducted the interview was very casual and brief. I remember being asked basic questions about my previous experiences, why I wanted to work there, more about myself, and the other standard chatter that goes on in an interview for an entry level position. Then he mentioned that my roommate had put in a good word for me, and offered me the job at the end of the interview. I began filling out the initial paperwork for the job and I believe I even got paid for an hour being there. All in all, it was a good experience, but not as formal as I was expecting it to be. Looking at it from the perspective of being the assistant manager there now, it really didn’t have to be serious. This was a college town, and I would be working for a burger bar.