Week 1 Initial Blog Post

Hi! My name is Conner Rhea and I am a student at Oregon State University currently taking CS 461. To this end, I will be writing blog posts here about development and whatever project I end up getting assigned to!

I am currently a full-time student at OSU, and while I was working a part-time job previously at Fred Meyer, I decided to take a step back and focus on my schoolwork since its my senior year and also due to safety concerns regarding Covid-19. I’ve always been a fan of computers since I was a kid, though sadly my parents didn’t support my wishes to study them until I reached college, so I always feel like I’m a bit behind, especially when compared to some of my classmates who have been programming since they were kids! But I’m the stubborn sort, and I’ll claw my way through regardless of how long it takes.

My CS option is game development and simulations. I’ve always been a huge fan of computer games and the joy they can bring to people, though I must admit I am somewhat loathed to work in the industry itself due to a lot of the crunch horror stories I am always hearing about, though one day I aspire to make my own independently developed game! I am also very interested in the application of simulations for important real-world applications such as using projections for building new structures like one of the projects that were proposed or even perhaps eventually working on a team making medical simulations to train doctors which is another application of technology I find fascinating! Regardless, I look forward to one day being able to put my skills to use creating software for people that need it, regardless of whether it’s for fun or for the benefit of others.

For some miscellaneous information about me, I have 2 pet cats, a mother and son duo named Beverly and Maxwell who are quite the handful, and in my spare time lately, I’ve been playing Monster Hunter and FFXIV Online (when I can find the time to do so of course).