WK2 Blog: Experiences with Discrimination

The prompt this week presents a problem in industry that has been seen thousands of times. A business that is known or loved based on the products they produce are now being publicly recognized for some malpractices they have been dealing with. Regardless of what the company has done my view of them will change in some form or another.

Discrimination in the workplace whether it’s a small family run business or a fortune 500 company, is not acceptable. The outstanding claims of discrimination would affect my views as well as potential loyalty to a company. The only instance where I would see myself continuing to support the company is if there was zero replacement product that would fulfill my need to purchase something. This being said, almost every product or service is in a field where there are competitors who will provide a near identical product or service. Let’s say I really wanted a new winter coat and I love Patagonia, but recent news comes out about some pretty bad discrimination on the corporate level. Oh no guess I cannot own a winter coat now! Oh wait… yes, I can ill just look at North Face or Carhartt or Nike or Eddie Bauer, and the list can go on and on.

Similar to my views stated above it would also alter my opinions on potentially working for the company in the scenario. If I knew that the company treated employees poorly then why on earth would I want to continue trying to become a part of their business. I’ll just go look at the hundreds of other companies who sell the same product, odds are at least some of them have better working environments.