Oregon State University logo

Student Story – Morgan Thompson

Morgan is a junior from Shady Cove, Oregon. Double-majoring in Psychology and Sociology with an option in Crime and Justice and minoring in Communications, she is set to graduate in Spring 2016 but is open to staying longer if it includes research opportunities, internships, and work experience. When asked about her future goals or plans after college Morgan replied:

My future career goals after Oregon State University include attending law school and possibly traveling abroad, which would be great with my focus in international law. I would like to work the United Nations as a human rights lawyer someday!

Morgan is very involved on campus and is someone who loves to stay active. Not only is she active but she promotes it through her on-campus involvement.

I work as a Peer Health Advocate at the Student Health Center on campus promoting healthy ways of living to all OSU students. I am a member of Active Minds which is a mental health awareness group on campus that promotes mental health and wellness. I am also involved as an advisory board member for Counseling and Psychological Services that creates the budget and advocates for the needs of the CAPS program at Oregon State.

Morgan’s experience as a student extends beyond the borders of the United States to a country 10, 389 miles away from Corvallis, Oregon. Morgan just returned from participating in a study abroad program this Winter term working as a human rights activist and a defense lawyer for refugees living in the Western Cape of South Africa. She spends her days writing refugee appeals for asylum seekers from all areas of Africa, defending clients having disputes with bosses or landlords, and researching on advocating for the end of xenophobia and promotion of human rights in South Africa.

I knew that I wanted to study abroad so I talked to my academic adviser and she recommended that I go to the Study Abroad Fair. It was a great recommendation as I received a lot of information and was able to attain the resources I needed to do my own research from home. I went online and found the internship that fit my goals perfectly!

A tough work week means finding some time for relaxation. While it may seem like lounging on the South African beaches is a given, Morgan sought out some of the more unique qualities the country had to offer.

Some of my most memorable moments include learning how to surf, playing with cheetahs, going skydiving for the first time, and walking with wild African elephants!