Skip navigation

Vet Gazette

Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine eNewsletter

Undergrad Research Experience Broadens Student’s View

December 15th, 2013

Methven-SFRBM-(5)Andrea Methven is a testament to keeping diverse programs in our high schools. Although she grew up in South East Portland, in a house on a typical city lot, she is now an OSU senior in Animal Science with an interest in livestock, particularly ruminants. How did a city kid get interested in goats?

“I didn’t realize how fascinating livestock (especially ruminants) are until I started high school,” she says. Methven joined the animal science program in the North Clackamas School District and worked at their 14-acre teaching facility, where she raised and marketed livestock, and worked alongside livestock producers. “The more I became involved with this program, the more I recognized my role in the community, and how I can further contribute to it,” she says. “Ultimately, my experience led me to pursue an Honors Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science.”

Methven has also been working for more than a year in the laboratory of Dr. Debbie Mustacich, Assistant Professor of Veterinary Medicine. Methven is one of the students helping Dr. Mustacich test the use of natural Vitamin E to augment ovarian cancer treatment. “I became involved with the study regarding Cisplatin and adjuvant treatment of Vitamin E as part of my Honors senior thesis,” she says. “As an Honors Scholar, I am required to write and defend a thesis for my undergraduate degree.  When presented with the opportunity to get involved with this study in the Mustacich lab, I eagerly joined and have since been involved in all aspects of research including animal handling, necropsies, and biochemical analyses.”

All of this experience has directed Methven toward a career in veterinary medicine. “This research experience has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to apply some of the knowledge I’ve learned in my classes. It has also made me consider pursuing research in the veterinary industry,” she says.

Like many students interested in veterinary medicine, Methven recognizes the opportunities it presents for making a meaningful impact on the world. “In addition to the responsibility of providing quality care, and maintaining patient quality of life, I feel that there are many accompanied responsibilities for veterinarians (especially in the big picture of the production industry).  I think veterinarians have an essential insight about how policies and regulations will affect the animals that they govern.  While policy makers, producers and consumers may have different motivations within the industry, veterinarians are essential for maintaining the integrity of animal care and production”

Right now Methven is busy going through the rigorous application process for veterinary medical school, and working on her thesis, which she intends to defend this coming term. Her experience in the Mustacich lab, working with veterinary students, gave her the boost she needed to continue pursuing her dream of becoming a veterinarian. “I have benefited so much from their knowledge, not only as a researcher, but also as a student hoping to follow their paths in veterinary medicine.”

Recent posts

Archives

December 2013
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

• Popular Tags