Skip navigation

Vet Gazette

Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine eNewsletter

Student receives national award

October 26th, 2010

Courtney Smith, Class of 2011, has received the top award from the Morris Animal Veterinary Student Scholars Program for her combined research presentation and poster. The award recognizes Smith’s ability to communicate effectively on how her research provides additional information on the link between the gastrointestinal tract and glucose regulation in alpacas and llamas. Smith says her goal was not only to explain her research to the panel of Morris Animal Foundation representatives, but to explain why the research was important. “I really just wanted to show why I like my research.” says Smith. She plans on using the cash prize for future endeavors.

Smith and her faculty mentor, Dr. Chris Cebra, received funding last winter from The Morris Animal Foundation in order to carry out the research this past summer. Smith adds, “Anybody with any type of research experience can apply for the research grants by submitting a proposal. OSU CVM can submit a proposal from any of the following categories, small animal, large animal, or wildlife. An email is usually sent out with current information about the Morris Animal Foundation Student Scholars Program around December to the entire CVM. Since this is usually a stressful time, students interested in a summer filled with fun research should start thinking about topics and approaching faculty with research ideas now. We have a ton of faculty that are all more than willing to help with research ideas and provide mentorship; they just need to be asked. Students are more than welcome to contact me to ask about the process too. I have loved my research experience and plan on including research in my future career. There is a lot of support at this university for research — all different types, and I think it is a wonderful experience for everybody.”

Those interested in the “Immunohistochemical characterization of intestinal endocrine L-cells in neonatal and adult alpacas” can view the winning poster on display in Magruder Hall.

Recent posts

Archives

October 2010
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

• Popular Tags