BHS323

Writing Exercise #14

To start, you have cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and many different metabolic disorders. outside of the gut there are diseases of the mouth like gingivitis, periodontitis, and dental caries. on the skin there are things like acne or dandruff, and in places like the vagina you can have bacterial vaginosis. There’s also the case to be made for things like depression, anxiety, alzheimer’s disease, and dementia in the brain. the microbiome has also been linked to asthma. I even think that there is a case to be made for accidents being linked to the microbiome, either from stress, lack of sleep, or lack of focus due to discomfort.

I think that there wasn’t a whole lot different between the two responses. To me this makes sense, because I had just come out of the term prior studying the human microbiome with Dr. Thomas Sharpton, so I came in with a lot of knowledge about the microbiome and the way that it interfaces with disease/injury. The only major difference is that I have researched more about the microbiome and the brain for my final paper, so I have a better grasp on the way that they link up. Funnily, I also believe, now, that accidents could theoretically be caused, or at least linked, to symptoms originating from the microbiome.