Introduction – Bryshon Sweeney

Hello everyone! I am currently in my last semester here at OSU. It has definitely been a journey, but I am super grateful for this program that allowed me to change my career and have a job doing what I love. Here’s a little bit about me.

What got you started with software development?

My first degree I received was a BA in Psychology from Penn State in 2019. I initially had plans to be a Marriage and Family therapist, but I realized that I enjoy helping people out with their relationships and problems as a hobby not as a job. Towards the end of receiving my first degree I started doing a lot of research on jobs that I could have for someone who really enjoys math and physics (Yes, I am that guy). I came across software development which I had never heard of prior. I started learning on my own and realized that I actually enjoyed it so I decided to enroll in this program!

Current Job/Internship

I currently work as a Software Engineer in Bethesda, Maryland for a cybersecurity/AI company. It has been fun and tough at the same time. I didn’t really have much experience prior to this, but just in the little time I’ve been here I was able to build a simple dashboard, use AWS Cognito for authentication, and even built a backend service to integrate with Stripe.

Future Career

Since I am so early in my career I am not exactly sure what I want to do. It definitely gets me down at times because when I talk with others it seems like all of them know exactly what they want to do and what jobs they want to pursue. I know that I truly enjoy streaming Netflix and watching Anime on Crunchyroll so I feel like it would be pretty cool to work for a streaming service such as Netflix, Crunchyroll, Hulu etc. I am pretty into traveling too so it could also be fun to work for a company such as Expedia, Kayak, Airbnb. As if that wasn’t already enough I have been learning Spanish for the past 5 years and that is something very near and dear to my heart so I wouldn’t mind working for a company such as Duolingo and Babel. As you can see I have a few interests so it’s hard to just pick one! I feel like they are all so different that they would require different expertise and so I am not sure where to start specializing or if I even should so early on.

Favorite Listed Projects

1. Crowd Sources Travel App – As you read above, you can see why this is my first choice
  2. Personal Training App
  3. Bike Kollective

Kids, Pets, Hobbies, Sports, Games, Activities, etc.

I just married the love of my life so that was very fun! I enjoy being a husband! Fun fact – I actually met her 5 years ago when I went to Costa Rica to study Spanish and as you can see it turned out pretty well! When I am not working and doing school work I enjoy watching sports(as well as playing) football/basketball/soccer, watching TV, traveling, and practicing Spanish trying to reach a native fluency (It’s so tough!), traveling, and just spending some quality time with friends and family.

Thanks for reading! Good luck to everyone on the semester! We’re almost there you got this!

One response to “Introduction – Bryshon Sweeney”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.