The Windows imaging server (ISCS-MDT) has been updated to include the Campus Labs Windows 7 image and all software included on that image. If lab computers come to the build bench for any reason and need to be re-imaged you can PXE boot to MDT as you normally would and select the Windows 7 master image under the Campus Labs section.
Task sequences are now associated with IP subnet. For example, if a computer PXE boots on the CN or ROOTS build bench you will see the task sequence selection screen. If a computer PXE boots in one of the computer labs MDT will perform what’s called a “zero-touch” installation and automatically re-image the computer. This assumes the IP range or individual workstations in Cyder are pointed at the OSU-MDT-PXE workgroup.
The ISCS-MDT server (used for Windows deployments at the build bench) has been moved to new core and to the same VLAN as the build bench in Milne. Anyone using a USB boot stick to do deployments will need to update. Some quick notes about the move:
– Cyder workgroups (DHCP options) OSU-MDT-PXE and OSU-MDT-PXE-UEFI have been updated with the server’s new IP address.
Old: VLAN 463, 10.198.0.68
New: VLAN 1112, 10.217.96.133
Note: Next week I will be asking NOC to configure IP helpers on the Milne building router. This will replace the workgroups above for the build bench, allowing any client (BIOS or UEFI) to PXE boot.
– MDT boot images have been updated to use the server’s FQDN/DNS name instead of IP address.
– The build bench firewall (CN2-FW) has been updated to allow the necessary ports through for remote management and OS deployment.
New Windows images with Office 2016 will go live tomorrow.
Windows 7/8.1: Added .NET 4.6.1, PowerShell 5.0, Office 2016 (replaces 2013)
Windows 10 CB/LTSB: Added Office 2016 (replaces 2013)
Added the following applications/packages to the MDT build share:
- All IE11 prereqs
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 for Win 7
- Created a custom deployment package with IEAK 11
- Microsoft .NET 4.6.1
- Microsoft Windows Management Framework 4.0
- Microsoft Windows Management Framework 5.0 for Win 7
- Microsoft Windows Management Framework 5.0 for Win 8.1
- Kernel Mode Driver Framework 1.11
- User Mode Driver Framework 1.11
These applications have been added to all applicable build task sequences to reduce manual work on reference images.
I have successfully upgraded ISCS-MDT to 2013 Update 2 (6.3.8330). Please be aware that this is what’s considered a quality release; there are no new major features.
– VMWare snapshot created for ISCS-MDT.
– MDT 2013 Update 2 applied.
– MDT build and production shares upgraded.
– MDT build and production boot images updated.
– Updated boot images applied to Windows Deployment Services.
Release notes and Information:
Things you may need to complete:
– For folks who log in to ISCS-MDT directly you may need to recreate/re-pin shortcuts to the MDT Workbench.
The Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10 was recently updated by Microsoft. This version is cited to have issues which could impact some MDT deployment scenarios. I will be doing more testing before moving forward with this update.
The Bench will be moving over to our new MDT server this Monday, April 12, 2015. While we at the Bench are very excited, there might be short periods where we will be unable to perform builds as we work out the kinks. Jim Galloway will be camping down here to help us with getting the bugs worked out.
Since we may experience outages and delays, please do not take on any RUSH jobs. If a job is a rush, please be very clear that we will do our best, but cannot make any guarantees as to the turn-around time.
This Friday we will be building many loaners to have on hand if the need arises and we are down.