At long last, Office 2016 for Mac has been released and we can install it freely on CN customer machines! As of today all Macs built at the bench will have Office 2016, and we are welcome to help customers upgrade if they call in. Please note that there are installers for both Mac and Windows in that location; at this stage we are only installing 2016 for Mac users.
- Check OS version. The machine must be on Yosemite (10.10) or El Capitan (10.11) in order to install Office 2016.
- Check to see whether the customer has local archives (folders on my computer) in Outlook 2011. If so, make a backup of \Users\<username>\Documents\Microsoft User Data\Outlook 2011 Identities just in case something goes horribly wrong.
- Download and run AppCleaner, available from http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/, to uninstall Office 2011. Please note that there are multiple versions of AppCleaner; make sure you download the version appropriate to the customer’s computer.
- Copy SW_DVD5_Office_Mac_Standard_2016_MultiLang_ISO_MLF_X20-44037.ISO from \\software.oregonstate.edu\software\Microsoft Office Suites\Office 2016 to the customer’s computer.
- Double-click to open the .ISO file and run Microsoft_Office_2016_Volume_installer.pkg.
- After installation, to run the updates you have to open each application. Do not update when prompted. After all the applications have been opened once and shut down, you can check for updates and the Microsoft Autoupdate tool will update all applications that have been opened at least once. That should save time over the “open an application, update, close then rinse and repeat” method.
- Once the updates finish, open Outlook. It should ask you to convert the database. If there were local archives (from step 1) do the conversion. If not, skip ahead and create a fresh account.