Financial Analysis Project – YWAM Mission

My Dream

It has always been a dream on mine to serve on a mission’s trip overseas. Now, that I am older I see it more as my calling! Not only do I want to travel and see the world, but I have a heart for the people in need and want to not only spread God’s love but help them in any way that I can, whether that be with building houses or helping at an orphanage.

After much research, I have decided that the organization I would like to go through is Youth with a Mission (YWAM). YWAM offers several different mission trips, including trips as short as 10 days. However, if I am going to do this I want to be completely immersed in the culture and be there long enough to form strong bonds with the native people and to really make a difference. Therefore, YWAM’s Discipleship Training Schools (DTS’s) are what I have decided on!

DTS has a couple different options, but the trip that caught my eye is the trip to Thailand! The program includes three months training here in Salem, Oregon, and then around two and a half months in Thailand. Specifics of what the service project would be are unavailable at this time. During the training I would live at their ‘campus’, where food and lodging would be included in the budget.

This dream would allow me to spend time immersed in a culture around the world, and give me the necessary tools and training to help the people effectively.

Other Examples

On their website, YWAM includes various testimonials prior participants have written. Even though there are no anecdotes from people who have made the Thailand journey before (they usually choose a different destination every time). One woman said that the three months of training at the DTS were so much more than simply book learning, but a time for personal healing and growing as well. Furthermore, another man said that the mission trip helped deepen his realization that he could be very valuable to those around him. Lastly, another DTS participant said that going through the training and the mission helped her find her true purpose in life!

Furthermore, I found a testimony of a missionary who went to Thailand, through a different organization. She said that all the natives she met on her journey were very welcoming and besides helping them, they got the opportunity to just ‘hang out’ as well. Furthermore, she even though there was a lot of suffering that she was exposed to, she also witnessed a lot of hope and joy from the people she served! This anecdote made me very excited because connecting with the people is one of my main reasons for wanting to serve on a mission.

Lastly, I researched helpful ideas of how other missionaries had raised the necessary funds for their tirp. I found out that many people who serve with YWAM go through their fundraising campaign.  They use a site called You Caring which not only provides helpful tips for setting up a budget and creates a fundraiser page, but gives creative ideas as well. This information was a relief, due to the fact that fundraising has never been one of my strong points.

Barriers

The first barrier I might face is not being accepted into the program. There is a fairly lengthy application, including references, that determines whether I could fulfill my dream with this program. Other than then that, my biggest barrier is funding. However, funding is something that I am in control of, and the information referenced in the previous section will help me tremendously. I can run a few fundraisers with aid from You Caring, and set up a website where people can make donations.

Current Finances

Monthly Budget

Because I am in school right now, there is not much wiggle room for my finances. However, by adjusting for less money for entertainment I can manage to save a little more. Furthermore, in three months I will be done with college, so my largest expense will be gone and I will be able to raise the income I bring in each month.

Budget Projections/Variations

YWAM Budget

The main expenses that are not variable for my mission are the $45 application fee and the $5,000 program fee. Other than that, there the other expenses are fairly variable.

Because the DTS here in Oregon will take care of my room and board, I will just have to cover a few necessities for the three months I am there. Besides clothing/toiletries, I will have the weekends free to travel and see friends or family so I will need some extra cash and transportation funds on hand. This is not mandatory, so whatever money I have will be go towards my YWAM fees first and then towards the extras.

Included in the $5,000 is all living expenses for the mission itself, just not the airfare to get there and back. Therefore, once I am oversees I do not have to budget for anything necessary.

Another item on the budget that is fairly optional are the souvenirs. This was items I would purchase in Thailand during my trip to bring back as gifts for my friends and family, or just as a keepsake for myself. Once again, funds will go towards the cost of the mission itself and living expenses during the training before I set money aside for souvenirs.

Scenario #1 is the ideal budget, if I get enough funds to cover it! Scenario #2 is the cheaper route, with all of the mandatory costs staying the same (application fee and mission program fee), but not quite as desirable. For starters, even though the airfare is cheaper in Scenario #2, it has two long layovers which would add numerous hours to my already long travels. Secondly, I would ask my aunt (who has done a lot of traveling) to borrow some of her extra clothes. It would save me some money, but her clothes are not in the best condition. Next, souvenirs would be excluded (pictures would have to be a substitute!). Furthermore, if I did not keep my smart phone, and bought a trac phone instead I would miss out on having access to internet and applications, but I would save money while still being able to communicate with my family. Also, if I went with Scenario #2, I could sell my car, which would erase car insurance money from my budget.  However, I would be taking the bus instead so transportation cost (what used to be gas money) would still be in the budget.