Blog Post #2

Prompt: What is your favorite technology from your project and why? What is it used for? How could it be made better?

For my capstone, my team is working on the ‘Dating app for animal adoption’. This is an adoption app that matches pets to prospective owners. This will be a desktop app with a login page, users will be able to see the shelter animal’s swipe page and filter their pet preferences. This app needs a variety of technology; some includes Google Cloud server to host our app, SQLite to store our data, and Flask to process backend work for our pages. From my experience so far, I enjoy using Flask the most.

We are slowly incorporating different technologies into our system. For example, we started drafting our schema, then we worked on frontend with html, and recently we integrated Flask into our framework. We are still away from SQLite and Google Cloud. But I have been able to enjoy learning Flask. I believe I was able to learn with a healthy amount of stress. I never used Flask at all prior to this project. But I have done very well in the early programming courses at OSU. So my fundamentals with variables and data structures helped me understand what I need to do in my capstone. The challenging part was to learn new syntax and coding in an unfamiliar language.

I personally used Flask for two main functions so far. First, I integrated Flask to handle both GET and POST methods in our HTML forms. This will process the user requests and form submissions. Additionally, I utilized one of Flask’s functions to implement a for loop, allowing us to dynamically populate the pets on our webpage. This means we can easily showcase all the pets in our shelter without any manual intervention.

Currently I’m able to get a lot out of Flask. But there’s so much more I can dive into. Flask can be ‘made better’ by utilizing the Authorization/Authentication of our logins. But I think that’s outside the scope of our project. It’ll take time and effort to learn what’s out there. I think my team can definitely explore that if we have time before the end of the quarter.

This week, as I’m in charge of debugging, I have the opportunity to dive deep into the nitty-gritty of Flask. This independent debugging experience allows me to thoroughly explore Flask’s structure and syntax. This gives me the opportunity to master debugging and understand more of Flask. By debugging, I am helping run the current project and exercising my skill of learning new technology.

One response to “Blog Post #2”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.