End the Stigma Around Discussions About Mental Health

Throughout my life I have always been a mover. I pride myself in being busy because of my ability to do many things at a high level and I think that impresses people. However, it has led to some emotional burnout which have caused acute anxiety attacks because of all the pressure I put on myself and perceive that other people put on me. When I was taking the surveys, I found myself having to challenge the thinking between how I want to react to the situations outlined and how I really react. For the most part I feel like I live a balanced life and am excited about all of the things I am doing to move me toward my goals. I also have a strong support system of relationships I can lean on when I get too overwhelmed. But stress is definitely something I struggle with. 

In an article in the Harvard Business Review, it says “Despite the fact that over 200 million workdays are lost due to mental health conditions each year ($16.8 billion in employee productivity), mental health remains a taboo subject. In fact, almost 60% of employees have never spoken to anyone at work about their mental health status.” (Greenwood, Bapat, Maughan 2019) Overall, most employees think their companies should prioritize mental health, however, few feel it is actually happening. Companies should start by evaluating how the top level executives and managers are interacting with the topic of mental health and the issues that arise from it. They can also educate and support employees through programs to show an investment of resources in this increasingly important issue. Losing this much time due to mental health issues is a limiting factor in many aspects of a company and although everyone’s mental health is different, they all deserve to be prioritized.

Greenwood, Kelly and Bapat, Vivek and Maughan, Mike (October 7, 2019) Research: People Want Their Employers to Talk About Mental Health Harvard Business Review https://hbr.org/2019/10/research-people-want-their-employers-to-talk-about-mental-health