skip page navigationOregon State University

« | »

One Family. One Orange.

Posted March 21st, 2013 by newmanau

One Family. One Orange.

By: Austin Newman

What does it mean to be orange? Everybody has a different idea and perspective about what Oregon States new motto really means. This idea of being orange has brought new inspiration into the lives of everyone who has been touched by Oregon State.  This motto has challenged me to reflect upon what it really means to be part of the Oregon State family. I believe one of the most important concepts of being orange is family. Family is one of my most important values and I think it can be applied to being orange in numerous ways. Oregon State has provided me with a close family for the past four years and I feel inclined to ensure that future students of OSU experience this same feeling. This university has also provided me with a future in more ways than one and I hope to be able to give back one day. Lastly, Oregon State has provided an environment in which I have had more fun than I have at any other time of my life.  To me, the philosophy of being orange encompasses three main overarching traits; family, future and fun.

Webster’s definition of family is, “a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head.” I think this is a horrible definition of family. I believe family can be defined as; a group of individuals with different temperaments, talents and convictions yet striving for one common goal and believing in similar ideal and morals. Being part of a family is a huge ethical obligation in itself. Multiple personal traits are required in order to be a valuable family member.  Responsibility, accountability and integrity are necessary traits when interacting in a family.  Responsibility is the ability to make correct moral decisions based on a set of personal codes and values.  Owning up to your own actions and accepting the consequences for them is an important characteristic of a functioning family. I also think being honest with oneself and with others is what integrity is all about. Family is a broad term and can be applied to many different organizations of people. I have been blessed with a fully functioning family and they are the most important people in my life. Both of my parents went to Oregon State, along with three aunts, two uncles, and five cousins. I have learned from all of them as they have learned from me. Oregon State has contributed to shaping all of their lives in a positive way and I have watched their success emulate through not only themselves but also in the lives of those they influence.  Family is so important to me I wanted to incorporate their thoughts into my reflection. I asked them all what they thought it meant to be orange and all of their responses were remarkably similar. Almost all of them touched on the lifelong friendships they have made here and the quality of life they now have. My cousin Kelsey had an excellent thought regarding being orange, “be true.” Meaning don’t try and be anything besides yourself; and don’t pretend you’re anything other than what you are. I think this is very important in any family atmosphere and I believe Oregon State encourages everyone to be their own person. My dad also had a great point, he said to be orange was to be “a do-er not a talker.” Implying that being orange is about doing something real and putting thoughts and words into action. Oregon State provides countless opportunities for students to apply what they have learned to real life situations. I believe it is essential for students to have these opportunities and experiences in order to be successful after college.

I believe that building a successful future can start at Oregon State. Being orange can teach someone the traits and ideals that serve as a foundation to a successful future. I don’t measure success on a scale of money or based on positions or titles. I measure success based on personal happiness and by the achievement of personal goals. By my definition it is possible for anyone to be successful, but it is difficult to measure happiness or to set goals without a firm basis of ideals and principles. I believe that Oregon States motto strives to instill a basic foundation of values that its graduates can use to build a successful future on. My family members have confirmed this by using the values they have learned at Oregon State in their everyday lives. To me being orange guarantees a basic foundation on which one can build a successful future on. I believe that when people think of the motto, be orange, they can easily relate it to not only a successful person but also the beginnings of a successful future.

Oregon State provides an atmosphere in which anyone can find a way to enjoy themselves and have the time of their life. The idea of being orange and being part of the orange family ensures opportunities for enjoyment will be provided. All it takes is the color orange to bring a smile to my face and countless memories to my mind. All of my family would say the same thing. Singlehandedly, Oregon State has brought new meaning to the color orange and has provided a source of memories containing innumerable experiences. Being orange represents an atmosphere of excitement and happiness. I believe that anyone who has experienced the orange family can say they have had the opportunity to enjoy unparalleled experiences.

Being orange symbolizes a fun family with a promising future. I believe that everyone who has been touched by the orange family can easily say they have had opportunities that not everyone has the chance to have. Those who have not had the chance to be orange can look at those who have and instantly know that it is a fun family to be part of. All of the alumni of Oregon State who exemplify responsibility, integrity and accountability are promoting a strong and successful future for everyone following them. We are all blessed to be part of this family and I believe we should all do our part in keeping this family functioning for many years to come.