911, What’s your emergency?

So it turns out the luck has been on my side this week. To begin this journey we were asked to pick our top six different capstone projects and hope we get one of them. I was lucky enough to get my first choice, “Cloud-based Application for Fire Department 911 Response-Time Analysis”. It’s core objective’s are:

• Implement a data storage solution and a UI for Levrum’s 911 response-time analysis application
  • Integrate and deploy the application to the cloud (AWS)
  • Test the end-to-end system
  • Report the results

I mentioned in my first blog post that before starting this program at Oregon State I worked multiple office jobs in various government positions. While studying for my first degree in Speech Communication (also from OSU), I was privileged to get a job working for the Linn County District Attorney’s Office in Albany, OR where I worked as an office assistant. During my time there I became the “tech guy” of the office. If people had issues with their computers or needed anything out of the ordinary done I was there guy. Settling into this “tech guy” position I took over most electronic discovery requests and audio/video redactions for court. I loved my job there and eventually used that to leverage a better paying position working as a Record’s Specialist for the Hillsboro Police Department in Hillsboro, OR ,and then finally working as an office assistant for the City of Salem Code Compliance in Salem, OR.

What does this work experience have to do with anything? My entire working experience is in government and working with confidential/sensitive material. This project requires the signing of an NDA and will deal with sensitive information (or at least I believe it will require and NDA). Additionally it will be using technology I am familiar with or have experience in. It feels like a full-circle moment for my career up to this point. I am finally able to merge both sides education and experience into one solid project.