Winter Term week 1

I won’t go over the introductory post from last term, and not much has changed from where I left off. I’m hoping this term will be a little more relaxed, as I am only taking 3 classes instead of 4. Although one of those classes is Programming Language Fundamentals. I don’t have a very good history with functional programming languages, so I anticipate this class will take some extra work. I’m glad the first assignment is already done, and I was able to complete it with only minor pain. There were a couple of functions I was not able to implement, but I should get a passing grade. Which is all I can hope for. 

The other class is Mobile Development which I’ve been looking forward to taking for a very long time so I’m very excited for it. And it’s taught by a professor I’ve had in the past who is one of the best I’ve had at Oregon State. In addition, Yang is in that class who is my partner for Capstone and I feel we work well together so being able to work with him on those group assignments will be productive and should also save a lot of time. 

I’m also thankful that my “on campus” courses this term are allowing me to simply watch recordings of lecture instead of attending. I had a class last term that basically tried to simulate being in person for 100% of the virtual experience. That didn’t work for several reasons, and in general it was an unpleasant class experience.

So there are a lot of things to look forward to this term. I think it’ll be important to try to focus on these positives and the things I can learn in class as the middle of these online terms can seem to really drag and be a little depressing. Even PLF should force me to finally get an understanding of recursion, and who wouldn’t love that?