« | »

“Be Orange”, The Authentic You

Posted June 12th, 2015 by dussink

Submitted by: Kiana Dussin

“Be Orange” they said. Be orange but don’t let the color define you. I heard these words at orientation and I knew I had found my new home. When I decided to become an Oregon state beaver, I was positive I made the right choice. This was so, because I knew I could be my authentic self at Oregon State. The words “Be Orange” meant so much more to me than just a color. The college was telling me to find what I love to study and do what makes me happy. But there always can be obstacles trying to be your authentic self and becoming an individual at Oregon State.

To be authentic means “true to one’s own personality, spirit, or character” (Merriam Webster). Being my authentic self is something I’ve always tried to be my whole life. I believe it’s best to stay true to yourself and never conform with others. Nietzsche states “by means of morality, individuals are led to be functions of the herd and to attribute value to themselves merely as functions” (Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Pg.116). By this Nietzsche means that all people are drawn and want to be accepted by the herd (or a group of people), so we do things and act a certain way to be accepted.

At a large college like Oregon State, peer pressure can greatly impact one drifting from his/her authentic self. One usually has their own set of morals and values but when put in certain situations, he/she will go against them to fit in or seem “cool”. Going again who you are is “bad faith: I am both the liar and the deceived” (Lecture, 5/26/15). You are lying to people about who you truly are and are being deceived by the people that are lying as well to fit in like you. It can be a cycle that is hard to break. People fall into peer pressure because it’s a natural feeling to want to fit in and be liked by many people. Humans are on a “pursuit of identity and freedom”(Lecture, 5/7/15). But it’s most important to be yourself because if you are, you will eventually find people just like you. It just takes time and the right kind of people.

My tips for living authentically as an OSU student are: To always be yourself, get involved in something you love and stand up/stop the peer pressure. If you are always your authentic self and are comfortable with that self, then the conformity of others won’t drag you in. Being confident in yourself can change your perspective and outlook on many things. If you involve yourself in things that you love, maybe you’ll have a better chance connecting with people that are similar to your authentic self. Having friends that have similar morals and values to you will make it easier to stick to your authentic self. Finally stopping the peer pressure and feeling no need to conform will be the biggest obstacle to overcome in becoming an individual at Oregon State. Kierkegaard states that there is dedication to “that single individual” (Lecture, 5/5/15). There is usually one individual that starts the peer pressure and is the head of the group. It’s important to stand up for yourself and stop the growth of conformity. In the end it’s only up to you, “you become who you make yourself to be”(Lecture, 5/21/15).

Oregon States large community with many different degrees paths and organizations to join makes it easier for one to be his/her authentic self. But never underestimate the pressure you may go under to conform. “What you are is a result of your choices”(Lecture, 5/21/15). This meaning that its your choice what path you take and who you follow and don’t follow. Truly knowing your authentic self and being comfortable with that authentic self, is the key to non-conformity.

Tags: , ,