Ryan Scholz

Email:
ryan.scholz@oda.oregon.gov

Occupation:
State Veterinarian

Phone Number for follow-up questions:
503-986-4760

Brief Professional Biography:
-Grew up in Newberg, OR – participated in 4-H and FFA
-Attended OSU – Two undergraduate degrees (Animal Science, Bioresource Research), Vet School, and Masters of Public Health (Epidemiology)
-Practiced in Mill City, OR, then Madras, OR (was a firefighter in Madras as well
-Began working for ODA in 2012 as District Veterinarian for Western Oregon
-Became State Veterinarian November 2020

Brief Personal and Professional Biography:
I am born and raised in Oregon. I grew up on a small farm outside of Newberg, OR, where I showed sheep, pigs and goats. I started showing livestock in kindergarten (before 4-H Adventures existed). Adventures was created when I was in 2nd grade, so after showing goats for 2 years, I showed a rock in 2nd & 3rd grade because I hated chickens and rabbits (the only animals that adventures were allowed to show at fair). I currently live in Keizer with my wife and 2 daughters. We have 2 cats, 4 chickens, and a bunch of fish.

What is one highlight of your career field?
I am the State’s Chief Animal Health Officer- Ultimately, it is my job to ensure the health and wellbeing of all livestock in Oregon

How did you get to your career?
I have always wanted to be a veterinarian, but was more interested in the science of diseases than in practice. After vet school, I got a masters of public health in epidemiology (the study of how diseases transmit). I got really lucky and a position opened up with ODA right as I was finishing my MPH.

What does your average day look like on your job?
There really is no such thing as an average day. On any given day, I would be out in the field testing animals, working to respond to and control large disease outbreaks, or testifying as a subject matter expert to the legislature.

Are there any tips you have for individuals seeking to start this career or do you know if there are scholarship or internship opportunities available with your career?
There are lots of scholarships available to students interested in veterinary medicine. While it is really important to take lots of science classes, it is equally as important to be well-rounded. Vet School teaches you the science of diseases and medicine, but it doesn’t teach you how to work with clients or handle animals. Those are skills that are really important to gain through experiences like 4-H and FFA during school so that you are prepared not only for vet school, but also for a career as a veterinarian.