Patrick Pierz

Email:
patrick.pierz@gmail.com

Occupation:
Engineering Director (retired)

Phone Number for follow-up questions:
541-645-5341

Title of presentation:
Engineering is a great career for anyone…

What is one highlight of your career field?
An engineer who interned with me as a senior in high school and whom I managed in her early career is now the President and Chief Operating Officer of a Fortune 500 company! She is absolutely amazing.

How did you get to your career?
When I was growing up, I always liked working on engines and taking apart mechanical things. I wanted to have the opportunity to understand why things are designed the way they are and of course to make them better. I was drawn to mechanical engineering as a result of this, but I needed to go to college. I was not sure if I would be successful going off to a 4-year college directly from high school, so I spent my first two years at a local Community College while still living at home. This was truly the best decision I made and I feel it was a critical step to my long and enjoyable career as a Mechanical Engineer. After obtaining my Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, I interviewed with several mid-west companies and was so fortunate to get hired by Cummins. It was like being at Disneyland for me when I visited their technical center while interviewing. They made the most amazing engines and had the very best analytical and hardware tools available.

What does your average day look like on your job?
My average day changed significantly throughout my career. Early in my career I was closely involved in the analytical and hardware aspects of the product. This involved working on computers to design and analyze new and/or improved component designs. Then I would work suppliers to procure the prototype hardware and then test it to validate the new design met the requirements. Later in my career I moved away from the hardware to managing teams of engineers and technicians. This involved more “desk and meeting” time and included planning, budgeting, hiring, project management, recognition, assessment, mentoring and coaching. And towards the end of my career, I moved into a senior advisor role where I would work with corporate leadership to define the future product portfolio and in addition I would provide oversight to the engineering teams so that they didn’t repeat mistakes made in the past that they would not be aware of. This period also gave me more time to provide coaching and mentoring of the younger engineers, which is something I really enjoy doing. I was never bored during my 35 year career and I really never had the same job for more than 5 years in a row. I also got to live in England for two years and travel the world with this company. Engineering is a great career indeed.

Are there any tips you have for individuals seeking to start this career or do you know if there are scholarship or internship opportunities available with your career?
Don’t be intimidated by the math and science requirements associated with a STEM educational path. If you are having difficulty, ASK FOR HELP before you get so discouraged that you quit. Once things get explained in a way you can understand, it will all click into place, I promise you. Another thing to consider is to start your post-high school education at a local Community College if they offer the required courses and they transfer to your likely four-year college choice. This will considerably increase your chances of success if you are in need of a smaller and more personal start to college life.