Janell Johnson

Email:
janell.johnson@oregonstate.edu

Occupation:
Senior Instructor

Phone Number for follow-up questions:
541-737-1870

Title of presentation:
Oh the places you’ll go…

Brief Professional Biography:
I have been an instructor at Oregon State University since 2012. I teach classes in the animal science discipline and also serve as an academic advisor to approximately 70 undergraduate students.

Brief Personal and Professional Biography:
I was born and raised in Corvallis, Oregon on a 750 acre grass seed farm. Agriculture and livestock have always been a large part of my life. I attended Linn Benton Community College for two years, but finished my undergraduate education in California. I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture Business with a minor in Animal Science from California State University, Chico. Upon my return to Corvallis, I pursued a Master’s of Agriculture degree at Oregon State, which I completed at the end of 2011. I was hired immediately after I defended for my Master’s degree and have been an instructor in the Animal and Rangeland Sciences Department at OSU since January 2012.

What is one highlight of your career field?
Interacting with students on a daily basis

How did you get to your career?
My experiences during both my Undergraduate and Graduate programs (i.e., livestock judging, student teaching, etc.) paved the way for me to be hired as an instructor at OSU.

What does your average day look like on your job?
My days are spent preparing for my classes (i.e., lecture and/or lab), teaching (either in-person or online), grading assignments, and of course replying to e-mails!

Are there any tips you have for individuals seeking to start this career or do you know if there are scholarship or internship opportunities available with your career?
Keep your options open because you never know what opportunities may come your way!