Dustin Morantes

Email:

Occupation:
Helicopter Pilot for Life Flight Network

Phone Number for follow-up questions:

Title of presentation:
Pilot Life in the Columbia Gorge

What is one highlight of your career field?
Serving my community while doing something I truly love.

How did you get to your career?
With the influence of some really amazing people and a lot of hard work and dedication. It was an unconventional path that started as an aircraft mechanic in the United States Air Force. After 3 years as a mechanic I went to Air Force Flight Engineer school where I was one step closer to my original goal of becoming an Air Force Pilot. While serving as a flight engineer I was exposed to the world of helicopters by a friend who maintained a fleet of news helicopters. After helping him as a mechanic and getting a little flight time I decided to use my GI Bill and get my helicopter ratings. I later decided to fly helicopters full time (instead of going to USAF pilot training) and have flown various types of helicopters while doing a wide range of missions, including utility, news, charter, VIP, flight test, and emergency medical.

What does your average day look like on your job?
Our pilot shifts are 12 hours, capable of going to 14 (per the FAA). We work a combination of day and night shifts, from 0800-2000 or 2000-0800, with a 24 hour off period to reset when going from days to nights. Typically I’ll show up, have a chat with the off going pilot about the aircraft status, discuss any previous flights, and go over the weather in our service area. While getting my brief I’ll sign in to the computer, review and sign the aircraft maintenance logbook, and gather my flight gear to take out to the helicopter when I do my preflight inspection. The aircraft gets inspected at least three times a day, once my each pilot and once by the base mechanic. After all the administrative items are complete and the aircraft is deemed ready for flight, then we wait for the phone to go off, similar to a fire department crew. I fly with a flight nurse and a flight paramedic. We typically either fly to a scene call (car accident, injured hiker, or other emergency outside of a hospital), a smaller hospital to transfer a patient to a larger hospital, or sometimes we fly with a specialty crew who transports very small children or a patient requiring extra special care.

Are there any tips you have for individuals seeking to start this career or do you know if there are scholarship or internship opportunities available with your career?
There are many ways to become a pilot and lots of different types of flying to do, so everyone can choose a path that works best for them. Right now there is a massive pilot shortage happening across many fields, so the opportunities for training and work are plentiful.

Watch the Video