David Melville

Email:
dmelville@eou.edu

Occupation:
STEM Education

Phone Number for follow-up questions:
928-864-7122

Title of presentation:
STEM Hubs of Oregon

Brief Professional Biography:
I was an elementary classroom teacher for seven years in Arizona and Alaska, and have taught in a number of environmental education centers, teaching kits about our natural world. I have spent over 11 years in college, I guess that means I still like to learn! I have been working with my current role in STEM Education for two years in La Grande.

What is one highlight of your career field?
Moving to Oregon to work with schools in Eastern Oregon.

How did you get to your career?
I started by teaching in environmental education and then into the classroom. I taught elementary school for 7 years. I then was ready to move towards supporting schools. I had to go back to school a few times for more learning as well.

What does your average day look like on your job?
It is different everyday. Sometimes I am in meetings and other times I am gathering STEM materials for teachers or students.

Are there any tips you have for individuals seeking to start this career or do you know if there are scholarship or internship opportunities available with your career?
If you are interested in education as a career, start by spending time in a school/classroom so you know that you want to be around students all day, every day. There are plenty of opportunities to observe and volunteer. As for scholarships, there are plenty of them at the university level.

Diversions & Life Choices Video