Brandon Melville

Email:
bmelville19@gmail.com

Occupation:
Nurse

Phone Number for follow-up questions:
928-856-1451

Title of presentation:
Nursing

Brief Professional Biography:
I’ve been a nurse for 10 years mostly in the ICU. I was a nurse educator in a cardiovascular ICU and am now the supervisor or all the nurse educators in the Bosie St. Luke’s hospital

Brief Personal and Professional Biography:
Married to a nurse, and have 2 kids and 2 dogs. I love to travel and experience new things. Nursing provides the work life balance I want in life.

What is one highlight of your career field?
Working as a post open heart recovery nurse and educator. It thought me so much and made me who I am today.

How did you get to your career?
I had originally aimed my career goals at being a doctor. I got a biology degree and took the MCAT’s but as I was applying to schools, I worked as a nursing assistant and shadowed physicians and in that time I discovered that I loved the work the nurses did. They have more of a direct, physical, positive impact on patients and you get to do some purity cool stuff. Now seeing the things I’ve done and life I’ve been living, I dont regret the decision at all.

What does your average day look like on your job?
As an ICU nurse, every day is different. It is 12 hours of adapting to challenges and pushing yourself to Each day, it teaches you and grows you as a person. There are good and bad days but you can be proud of the work you do because you are saving lives and serving others. As a nurse leader/educator, you work strive to support your staff so they have the skills, knowledge and confidence to care for patients safely. It’s not as in the trenches as a bed side nurse. But it is a position that gives back to nurses and impacts a greater population.

Are there any tips you have for individuals seeking to start this career or do you know if there are scholarship or internship opportunities available with your career?
I would recommend focusing on your prerequisites to make you more competitive in your applications. I would also urge people to get their batchelor degree in nursing. More and more hospitals are requiring it to be a bedside nurse, so it will make you more competitive and save you time in the future.