Skip navigation

Your OSU Blog

Bringing Higher Education Closer to You

4-H Youth: Positive Youth Development

February 22nd, 2011

When Lisa Battan was laid off from her marketing position at a local company she didn’t let it slow her down.  “My husband asked me if I could do anything at all what would my dream be.  I knew right away.  I’ve always wished I could live on a farm, to raise and care for animals and be more connected to our food.  I want to give our children that experience.”  But finding a farm experience in an urban area like Portland can be challenging.  That’s when Lisa discovered Alpenrose Dairy in Portland.  Lisa and her children began volunteering at the dairy doing chores like cleaning stalls and grooming horses. 

Lisa quickly saw the joy and benefit working with animals brought to her children and was inspired to provide similar opportunities for other urban youth.  Lisa began volunteering with the Multnomah and Washington County 4-H Program to create the 4-H Farm Discovery Program at Alpenrose Dairy.  4-H Farm Discovery engages urban youth with animal husbandry, animal science and agriculture while helping them understand how humans depend on farming and ranching for their daily needs.

Click here for a more in-depth article.  http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=315&NewsID=987599&CategoryID=7978&on=0

• Popular Tags