Nov 04 2010

I am not a professional photographer!!! But for your viewing pleasure…..

I did receive a request to post a few more pictures of some of the koi we’ve seen.

Here are a some from the Niigata Breeders show, a few of the koi farms in Niigata and  from the Hiroshima Nogasai (Agricultural) Show. The Hiroshima show is also a breeders show that is very similar, though a bit smaller, than the show we attended in Ojiya City, Niigata Prefecture.

I’ve also tried to identify the variety of koi in each picture. I believe I have most of them correctly identified. I had my identifications reviewed by a professional (Tony Prew). All should be correct unless I missed a some when I reviewed my pictures with Tony (my task during a 3 hour train ride). I had about 80% correct. I’m learning!!!

Any errors are mine alone and I’m sure someone will let me know if I’ve misidentified a variety.

In any case, you can begin to get a feel for the varieties of koi that are available in Japan.

If you are interested in learning a bit more about the Japanese Koi Industry, its development and the varieties of koi visit the International Nishikigoi Promotion Center’s web site.

Here are the pictures in no particular order:

Assorted beauties, to quote Heiko Blehr

Assorted wonders

Beni Kumonryu

Benigoi

Gin Rin Kohaku

Doistu Kohaku

Goshiki

Hikari Aka Matsuba

Hikari Doitsu Ochiba, Sanke and Showa

Kikisui

Kikisui and Gin Rin Platinum Ogons

Koromo

Kujaku

Sanke

Shiro Utsuri, Sanke, Tancho sanke, Kikusui and Doistu Kohaku

Shiro Utsuri, Tancho Kujaku and Kujaku

Doitsu Showa

Shusui and Sanke

Tancho Kujaku

Yamabuki Ogon

No responses yet

Comments RSS