I am not a professional photographer!!! But for your viewing pleasure…..

I did receive a request to post a few more pictures of some of the koi we’ve seen.

Here are a some from the Niigata Breeders show, a few of the koi farms in Niigata and  from the Hiroshima Nogasai (Agricultural) Show. The Hiroshima show is also a breeders show that is very similar, though a bit smaller, than the show we attended in Ojiya City, Niigata Prefecture.

I’ve also tried to identify the variety of koi in each picture. I believe I have most of them correctly identified. I had my identifications reviewed by a professional (Tony Prew). All should be correct unless I missed a some when I reviewed my pictures with Tony (my task during a 3 hour train ride). I had about 80% correct. I’m learning!!!

Any errors are mine alone and I’m sure someone will let me know if I’ve misidentified a variety.

In any case, you can begin to get a feel for the varieties of koi that are available in Japan.

If you are interested in learning a bit more about the Japanese Koi Industry, its development and the varieties of koi visit the International Nishikigoi Promotion Center’s web site.

Here are the pictures in no particular order:

Assorted beauties, to quote Heiko Blehr
Assorted wonders
Beni Kumonryu
Benigoi
Gin Rin Kohaku
Doistu Kohaku
Goshiki
Hikari Aka Matsuba
Hikari Doitsu Ochiba, Sanke and Showa
Kikisui
Kikisui and Gin Rin Platinum Ogons
Koromo
Kujaku
Sanke
Shiro Utsuri, Sanke, Tancho sanke, Kikusui and Doistu Kohaku
Shiro Utsuri, Tancho Kujaku and Kujaku
Doitsu Showa
Shusui and Sanke
Tancho Kujaku
Yamabuki Ogon