Jul
30

Back to Sea (but we can’t see)

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Robert on 30-07-2009

We sailed from Newport this morning and began surveys of our worksite early this afternoon.   Leaving Yaquina Bay, we found the views the same as we found them last month – with cold fog on the coast and 105 degree weather in the valleys to the east.

P7280023small

We have chosen to move our injection site north to avoid a repeat collision with shallow pinnacles that grounded our vehicle in May.  We ran survey lines along the 25, 30, 35 and 40m isobath and also collected ocean current data with the 600 kHz ADCP.   We are now running a long section out to 500m water depth (~30 miles) to gather more information on currents that will help us decide where to inject the dye.      Or survey this morning brought us within one half mile of Haystack Rock and the Pacific City beach … but the FOG was so thick that we could barely see one end of the ship from the other.    (Map images courtesy of C. Romsos, OSU).

Work area for the Carbon study group during early August.   Bathymetric and current surveys shown below

Work area for the Carbon study group

1 Comment So Far

DG on 1 August, 2009 at 10:32 pm #

“Call me Ishmael. Some years ago — never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.” “Moby-Dick, or the White Whale” by Herman Melville. Published 1851.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.