Jun
02

We Back

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Robert on 02-06-2009

No words needed (mostly) …

The Sea Buoy ...

The ride in off Heceta Bank ...

The Sea Buoy (now we're close ...)

The Sea Buoy (now we're close ... so the radar tells us)

The Anchor Detail on watch as we enter the jetty.

Now we know were in Newport

Now we know were in Newport

The (long) wait to tie up.

The (long) wait to tie up.

Thank you for joining us.  Stay tuned for August.

7 Comments Already, Leave Yours Too

DG on 1 August, 2009 at 10:36 pm #

“Call me Ishmael. Some years ago — never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.” “Moby-Dick, or the White Whale” by Herman Melville. Published 1851.

DG on 2 August, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

“The next morning was Saturday, a breeze having sprung up from the southward. We took a pilot on board, hove up our anchor, and began beating down the bay. I took leave of those my friends who came to see me off, and had barely opportunity for a last look at the city and well-known objects, as no time is allowed on board for sentiment.”

“Two Years Before the Mast” by Richard Henry Dana. Published 1840.

DG on 3 August, 2009 at 11:19 am #

\In the year 1690 some persons were on a high hill observing the whales spouting and sporting with each other, when one obsrved: there–pointing to the sea- is a green pasture where our children’s grand-children will go for bread.\

Obed Macy’s History of Nantucket, 1835.

DG on 4 August, 2009 at 2:23 pm #

“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I’m halfway through my fish burger and I realize, oh my God…I could be eating a slow learner!” Lynda Montgomery, American comedienne.

DG on 5 August, 2009 at 8:35 am #

“We now gazed at the most wondrous phenomenon which the secret seas have hitherto revealed to mankind. A vast pulpy mass, furlongs in length and breadth, of a glancing cream-color, lay floating on the water, innumerable long arms radiating from its center, and curling and twisting like a nest of anacondas, as if blindly to catch at any hapless object within reach. No perceptible face or front did it have; no conceivable token of either sensation or instinct; but undulated there on the billows, an unearthly, formless, chance-like apparition of life….With a low sucking sound it slowly disappeared again. [ ] So rarely is it beheld, that though one and all of them declare it to be the largest animated thing in the ocean, yet very few of them have any but the most vague ideas concerning its true nature and form; notwithstanding, they believe it to furnish the sperm whale his only food.”

Whale Hunt: A Narrative of a Voyage in the Charles W. Morgan, by Nelson Cole Haley, Harpooner. Published 1948.

DG on 6 August, 2009 at 8:50 am #

“I became accustomed to seeing the dolphin, which I knew by its scars, and missed it whenever it took occasional excursions away from the sloop. One day, after it had been off some hours, it returned in company with three yellowtails, a sort of cousin to the dolphin. This little school kept together, except when in danger and when foraging about the sea. Their lives were often threatened by hungry sharks that came round the vessel, and more than once they had narrow escapes. Their mode of escape interested me greatly, and I passed hours watching them. They would dart away, each in a different direction, so that the wolf of the sea, the shark, pursuing one, would be led away from the others; then after a while they would all return and rendezvous under one side or the other of the sloop. Twice their pursuers were diverted by a tin pan, which I towed astern of the sloop, and which was mistaken for a bright fish; and while turning, in the peculiar way that sharks have when about to devour their prey, I shot them through the head.”

Sailing Alone Around the World, by Joshua Slocum. Published 1919.

DG on 7 August, 2009 at 5:13 am #

Mr. Krabs: “The hooks, me bucko. They’re back. Beware the hooks.”
Spongebob: “The hooks?”
Mr. Krabs: “AYE, the hooks. They dangle down and draw you close with their pleasing shapes and beguiling colors, and just when you think you’ve found the land of milk and honey, they grab ya by the britches, and haul you way up high, and higher, and higher, and HIGHER, until you’re hauled up to the surface, flopping and gasping for breath! And then they cook ya, and then they eat ya–or worse!”
Spongebog [terrified]: “What could be worse?”
Mr. Krabs: [softly]: “Gift shops.”

“Hooky”, Spongebog Squarepants, Season 1, episode 20a, 1999.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.