New Work Space

This next June will mark seven years from when I started working in the Marketing Department as an intern. From there transitioning to where I am today in Web Communications. During that time rumors about moving offices always seemed to persist. Every other month there was a different remodeling, renovating, redesigning or re-something idea floating […]

October 8, 2013

This next June will mark seven years from when I started working in the Marketing Department as an intern. From there transitioning to where I am today in Web Communications.

During that time rumors about moving offices always seemed to persist. Every other month there was a different remodeling, renovating, redesigning or re-something idea floating around. There is nobody to blame really. Universities are notoriously slow and cumbersome when it comes to things like this. Toss in the fact that most of the people in our department are dreamers and you end up with an ever evolving sense of possibilities!

Well it finally happened. Essentially we kicked out the Geospatial Services group in the basement of Adams. They definitely got the crappy end of the stick on that one. I feel for my friends in that group. I will miss the ever-present smell of toast, wafting down the hall, in the morning. After they moved we went to work as a team. Cleaning, painting, laying new wood floor (pretty hoss for a bunch of web geeks), putting up the trim and eventually putting together what can only be described as an Ikea office showroom.

Immediately as you come down the stairs you see our chalk wall of productivity. This is space for Dave to layout our current and upcoming projects. Think wall sized gantt chart

task-wall

If you turn to the left you will now see our cozy little living room space. I envision doing some of the more mundane tasks while lounging on the couch half asleep. It is a little hard to see but we also have the most glorious rug. It has a moose-like animal on it. I feel like it is a work of art and have a hard time stepping on it. Callie picked it out and will receive a 5% per month pay increase for excellent rug taste. At least that is what would happen if I had any say/control over such things. For the greater good it is probably best that I do not.

seating-area

Here is a good look at the general office setup. We all get our own desk space and grid like shelving unit. You can add cubbies, drawers or cabinets to fit your own personal style. We certainly haven’t figured everything out with this new environment, but that will come with time. We might also end up hating each other, it is hard to forecast. Either way I feel like it will work itself out.

office

Lastly, we have a nice section for our interns. Since over the years they have done most of the work around here we figured they should also get a nice clean work space. If you are a bright person and want to continue doing all of our work as an intern shoot us an email, we are pretty much always hiring.

interns

I forgot to get a picture of our new video editing suite, but it is also pretty incredible. It will be a big asset for our projects and random youtube video watching abilities (always during lunch…).  Below is a list of things we have learned mixed in with things that I think we will have to conquer as a group.

• Temperature: It is pretty impossible to please everyone. It seems like it is boiling lava hot or frigid. Still have to find that middle ground.
  • Music: I like to blare my music loud and I have been known to listen to a new hit jam 10 times in  a row. You can assume that nobody else on the planet would enjoy that.
  • Assembling that much Ikea furniture sucks. We need special interns just for that.
  • Using a nail gun makes you feel like a tough guy.
  • Smells: You can use your imagination here. There hasn’t been any big problems yet, but it seems like an inevitability at this point. Somebody is going to bring in some sort of stinky egg lunch and the whole office will notice.
  • By moving to the basement we have taken small steps in eliminating all contact with other humans. Sometimes stray customers from parking services happen by, but someday I am confident we can get that to zero incidences. 
  • Having this space has spurred the idea of doing potluck breakfast once a month. The first one was fantastic, I gorged myself on bacon products. The only downside is knowing that I have to wait a full month until the next one. 

-Kegan

-Kegan

TAGS:

CATEGORIES: Jobs Office Culture

19 thoughts on “New Work Space

1. Your home country will not know where you are since the passport is not being swiped.
    Anyone who thinks they cannot defend themselves adequately with a Berretta or Glock handgun and a 12 ga
    pump shotgun in an urban environment does not know what they are
    talking about, end of story. Some others dictate each and every detail
    of the new style and design.

2. my first trip to the zoo. The highlight, of course, were the beavers, but there were lots of other great animals and educational opportunities as well. I strongly urge you to visit if you have the opportunity.

Things Kegan learned at the zoo

Melody, our marketing director, has a reoccurring nightmare about bears.شركة فحص تسربات المياه بالرياض
    The beavers are way bigger than expected. We are talking like 20-40 lbs.

Elephants have huge bladders and well, for

3. Inside the beaver den is a magical looking place, that is warm and cozy. I really wanted to crawl in there.شركة كشف تسربات المياه شمال الرياض They are providing washing machine repair services which consist of single door refrigerator,Double door refrigerator ,Triple door refrigerator,Four door refrigerator,french door refrigerator ,side by side fridge and Semi-automatic Washing machine repair Services,Fully-automatic Washing machine repair Services,Top load Washing machine repair services ,front load washing machine repair services. We also provide Microwave repair service ,oven repair service and other appliance repairs etc.

4. mindspore now open source

MindSpore has focused on lowering entry barriers for AI developers, with Professor Chen noting: “MindSpore natively adapts to all scenarios across the device, edge, and cloud. We implement AI Algorithms As Code through on-demand collaboration for easier model development, and provide cutting-edge technologies, and co-optimization with Huawei Ascend AI processors to improve runtime efficiency and computing performance. We also support other processors such as GPU and CPU.”

ModelArts Pro, First-ever Enterprise-Grade AI App Development Suite

Yuan Jing, General Manager of HUAWEI CLOUD General AI Services, unveiled ModelArts Pro, a first-of-its-kind AI app development suite for enterprises. ModelArts Pro is positioned as an enterprise AI productivity tool on the cloud, and provides an innovative model for putting industrial AI into practice, by integrating the know-how of experts in the field into corresponding suites and workflows that empower AI app developers. This novel approach boosts overall AI development efficiency and implementation results. ModelArts Pro provides enterprises with the skills to build AI apps, and makes the boundless potential of AI broadly accessible.

5. Huawei Atlas 900 AI cluster

The Atlas 900 AI cluster set a new benchmark with its top cluster network, modular deployment, heat dissipation system, holistic design, performance, extensibility, and human-centric details.

6. The Atlas 900 AI cluster set a new benchmark with its top cluster network, modular deployment, heat dissipation system, holistic design, performance, extensibility, and human-centric details.