Self-Reflections

1. What am I good at?
    I am good at organising and creating structure into my life. I am good when I am busy at being able to manage my time the best and being the most productive. I am good at being disciplined with myself to get what needs to be done, and only when it is done doing things that I want to do. 
  2. What do I value?
    I value being in a position where I am financially comfortable in that I do not have to constantly worry about the money that I do or do not have. I value being respected and recognised in a fair way for the work that I do and the efforts that I put into something. I value having the freedom to have flexible hours of work throughout the day allowing me some flexibility in my schedule.
  3. How did I get here?
    I got here by starting rowing 8 years ago. I was looking at universities and different options to continue studying and rowing at the same time so I began looking at schools in the USA where collegiate athletics is a big thing. I chose Oregon State because of the rowing program, my connection with the coaches, the location being in the Pacific Northwest and accessibility with flights from New Zealand. I chose the College of Business because it is a universal set of degrees and principles that I could take with me anywhere round the world.
  4. Where am I going?
    I am about to graduate from Oregon State and enter into the work force in these unprecedented times. I am going to continue applying for jobs, and am beginning to accept that I may not get my dream job straight away. Given the nature of the global climate I need to be open to any work as a temporary fixture for an income while I keep looking and applying for roles more aligned with my degree, values and career goals. 

2 thoughts on “Self-Reflections”

1. Hey Abigail!
    I think it is great that you are keeping your options open right now, given current circumstances. I think you have set yourself up well for many opportunities, and haven’t cut off any possibilities. I think this flexibility will be highly appreciated right now.

2. I like that you recognized the fact that you are graduating into a world that is very uncertain at the moment. I can definitely relate to you on that level. It is definitely nerve-wracking and is going to make it harder to find jobs that we like. But if anything it will teach us to persevere in hard times. Thanks for sharing!