IPIP Results, Strengths and Weaknesses

The results of my test were not particularly surprising to me in all honesty. My extraversion score is average meaning that I enjoy spending time with others and in group settings but there becomes a point when I need some alone time again (the introversion side). My agreeableness score is low meaning that I struggle to show concern for others and can be seen as tough, critical and uncompromising. I scored high in conscientiousness meaning that I have high expectations of myself with clear direction and goals. People see me as reliable and hardworking. My score on neuroticism is average meaning that my level of emotional reactivity is typical of the general population. While I do react to stressful and frustrating situations, I am able to get over the feelings and cope with the situation. I scored low on openness to experience meaning that I like things broken down for me in simple terms. I can be described as down to earth, practical and conservative. 

Looking the results from the IPIP Test employers would describe my biggest strengths as being reliable and hard working. Employers would seek this sort of personality out because it is the biggest predictor of performance on a job. Another strength that I believe employers would seek is my average level of emotional reactivity because it means that they are less variables and emotional reactivity when I would be working on a job. Another strength could be the fact that I can be described as down to earth and practical, especially in a job that does not require imagination but instead hard facts and knowledge to work with.

A strength but also a weakness I see in myself is my lack of compromise and critical eye. This could be considered a strength in a leadership role that requires the hard and unfavourable decisions to be made. However, It could also be considered a weakness in that people struggle to meet and live up to the expectation I put on them and myself. I can easily look for areas of improvement and sometimes will look for improvement before commending and acknowledging the good work that has already been done. This is an area that I need to work on balancing better which I think will help be considered a strength in both roles (leadership and all).

3 thoughts on “IPIP Results, Strengths and Weaknesses”

1. Hi Abigail,
    I also noticed that I had a pretty good level of emotional stability, meaning that my neuroticism score was relatively low. This will be a strength in the workplace and a positive to employers. It is important to have the ability to control emotions, but also let them show when it is necessary. Having this control will gain us respect because we are able to control how we react in situations, whether that be with emotional undertones or not. Great analysis of your traits and how they positively and negatively impact the opinions of employers!

2. Hi Abigail,
    I think it is great how you were able to see both the positive and negative outlook on some of your traits. It is important to understand how something can be both good and bad, and be able to recognize when it isn’t to your benefit. I think being critical and uncompromising is an important trait to have, especially if you are wanting to grow into a leadership role. But it is also important to understand how to take a step back and acknowledge what’s good before going into what is bad. Overall great analysis!

3. Hi Abigail,

I enjoyed reading your blog post. I think it is so interesting seeing other people’s results and how their personality traits are perceived as strenghts or weaknesses in the professional world. I think it is important to think about your own strengths or weaknesses in order to be self aware in the work place. I think it is really good that you know you may struggle with compromise but at least you know this about yourself and you can work on it in the professional world.