Hiring Typical Performance Over Maximal Performance Candidates

If I was in the position of a business owner, I would hire Jaime. While Jaime does not have the maximal performance capabilities of someone like Avery, they are more consistent and, on the average, a better worker. 

I would choose to not hire Avery, although they have a high maximal performance ceiling because the role is an essential position. Avery’s recommendations speak of them being a slacker and only applying themselves when it suits them. In an essential position like the one currently opens the business needs consistency and reliability to ensure it does collapse. Avery with their high maximal performance ceiling would be better suited to project work or sales where they are able to work in two-week sprints. By hiring a candidate like Avery into one of those sorts of positions it will allow them to utilise their maximal performance when needed and the business in crunch time without having to overexert Avery for long periods of time. 

In this instance I have chosen to hire Jaime as it is an essential role in the company meaning that they will be heavily relied upon. Jaime is consistent with every piece of work they endeavour to purse. Consistency I believe is essential for critical business functions as without any dependability the business would collapse. Being consistent in this role I think is important because it brings with it a hard-working attitude and reliability when the business needs it. A candidate like Jaime is better suited to a consistency role like this, because both they and the business know what can be expected now and in the future. While Jaime’s does not have the same level of maximal performance they have the ability to work at their peak performance for longer periods of time compared to someone like Avery. 

One thought on “Hiring Typical Performance Over Maximal Performance Candidates”

1. I made the same choices for this hiring scenario. I agree that consistency is key in this case but that a sales or project based position would be best for Avery. With the successful hire of Jaime there will likely be a good foundation with which to build on as the business needs change over time.