Navigating the Hiring Process

The last job I applied was for my internship last summer. The hiring process was very straight forward in that I initially discovered the role through word of mouth. Unless you knew or looked at the company’s website specifically you would have struggled to identify the opportunity as it wasn’t advertised very publicly.  

As an applicant through word of mouth, I contacted the hiring manager directly and attached both my resume and cover letter into an email asking initially if any positions were available. The hiring manager responded through email asking for a phone interview which took place a couple days later. The phone interview was like any interview you could expect for a job position. Towards the end of the phone interview the hiring manager said there and then that he would love for me to join his team in the summer internship position and that HR would soon be in touch. Compared to other interviews I have done this was a point of difference where other interviews have gotten back to me a couple of hours later to offer me the position, they have not been on the spot like that before. 

The simplicity and efficiency of the application process made me want the role. As an applicant I liked that there was no wasting time by having to jump through several hoops, and instead could be honest and upfront with expectations and the process from the beginning. In this situation I think there was a level of trust already built between myself and the hiring manager as we both had a mutual acquaintance who had previously worked for the company in a similar role. This aided both of us in the process to make a decision in hiring and me accepting the position. 

One thought on “Navigating the Hiring Process”

1. I like the point you made about being more inclined to take the position because of how direct and efficient the hiring process was. I would feel the same way. I feel like being hired on the spot shows that they really see you as a good fit and really want you on their team.