Typical vs. Maximal Performance

I think I would hire Jaime over Avery because I think that when looking at the averages of how much work both people would be able to do, Jaime would be more effective overall. In addition to that, I think that the volatility of Avery’s work would be difficult to plan around and create effective project schedules for. With Jaime, I would have a better idea of how much work I can expect them to complete every day.

I think a good position for a person like Avery would be something where they are able to create their own projects or have more creative license over their work.  I think that would make them more passionate about their work and hopefully push them to be more consistent.  Even if it doesn’t push them to be consistent, I think that a creative position where the employee has more independence and deadlines are more project based rather than daily would fit this kind of low consistency employee.

I think a good position for Jaime would be something less high stress.  Something where the work needs do be done consistently and there isn’t that last minute rush to get everything done.  Of course, that scramble at the end of a project or when up against a deadline is in every position, but I think they would do best in a position where that doesn’t happen very often.  Jaime works well in a consistent work environment where they can do the same level of work every day without a lot of variation in what is expected of them.

I think that both are an important type of employee to have, but they need a work style and level that fits with their abilities.  Depending on the position, I think either of them could outperform the other, but since I don’t know much about the position I’m hiring for, I went with Jaime because I believe they would get more work done overall.

3 Responses to Typical vs. Maximal Performance

1. Andrea says:

Hi alexis,
    It is good to hear your view on typical vs maximal performance. It is true that Jamie would be more effective overall but he does not have high potential to solve the problems so I prefer to hire Jamie or Avery based on the job position. According to their ability to hire the correct job position.

2. pearbenj says:

Hey Alexis,
    I tend to agree with you that Jamie would be the correct hire in the scenario we were given, although it does depend on the job/situation. Your recommendation for Avery to work at a job where she can use her own creativity to utilize her potential seems like a good idea! I also liked that you mentioned preferring Jamie over Avery because you felt you would get more work done overall by hiring the more consistent applicant. Nice post!

3. khanfar says:

Alexis,

I like the idea of having Avery work on more creative projects that may spark their interest in working harder than below average. However, with someone who slacks off, do you think that they will take initiative and be able to handle something on their own. I would definitely go with Jamie as well because having a slacker on your team is very demotivating and will end up pushing that behavior to others. Your posts are always good an insightful. I also like the picture you have in the beginning – mine is so bland.