header image

Survey#11 and final words

For our last survey day we travel back around Malo Island. We found a group of spinner dolphins but much smaller than yesterday (around 20 of them). Plus, they were resting so only one biopsy was collected. The sea was flat calm so we tried to cover some offshore areas. Unfortunately we didn’t spot anything else despite hearing some whale moans with the hydrophone. After a total of 11 survey days, the outcome of this trip is a bit disappointing. We saw only two confirmed species of dolphins, spinner and spotted dolphin, plus one baleen whale, with a very low encounter rate. The final number of biopsies is only 14, 13 of them being spinner dolphins. Ideally, we should come back to Vanuatu later in order to complete sampling at least for spinners. The first week in Efate was clearly affected by bad weather but in Espiritu Santo, the overall conditions were excellent so no excuse there. Anyway, I’m pretty sure that there is more to Vanuatu’s dolphins than we got to experience. It was interesting though to find no Indo-Pacific bottlenose at all. Being present in the Solomon Islands and New Caledonia, we were expecting to find this coastal species in Vanuatu. They might not be here after all.

We would like to express our gratitude to the skippers and observers who joined us during this expedition: Aimeric, Jino, Rémi, Fabrice and Terry. Thank you so much for your patience and effort to find the dolphins. Thanks also to Marie-France and Loïs at Hibiscus Motel in Santo for the very pleasant stay. Finally, we would like to thank our sponsors for their support. We hope that you enjoyed the blog.

From left to right: Véro, Fabrice, Terry, Marc


Category:  Field surveys     

Survey#10 – 21 July 2012

Biopsying with the Paxarms system

Cloud cover was 100% almost all day but, with no wind, the sighting conditions were very good. We decided to go around Malo Island, south-east of Espiritu Santo. It took us a while but after a couple of hours we finally found a small group of three adult spinner dolphins. Such small group size is rather unusual for spinners but it happens from time to time. We got one biopsy from this group (see photo). A couple of nautical miles later, we encountered a much larger group of the same species (60-70 individuals). The group was very scattered and not boat friendly. So again, we only managed to collect of couple of biopsies along with some photographs. It was our last encounter of the day. During a listen with the hydrophone we heard some dolphins’ whistles and what we think were baleen whales’ moans. Unfortunately, we did not make visual contact with these animals. Tomorrow is our last day on the field. We’re expecting the same forecast and we’re hoping for more species and biopsies…

Category:  Field surveys     

Survey#9 – 20 July 2012

Like yesterday, we had nice weather for the survey. To the difference of yesterday, we found some dolphins!!!! YES! A group of spinner dolphins (15-20 of them) was encountered along the reef of Aese Islet on the East Coast. They were not particularly curious and therefore, we only collected a couple of biopsies. However, after three days of seeing nothing, that was enough to make us happy. Soon after leaving the spinners, we also found a whale. We’re not sure if it was a minke whale or a Omura’s whale but we got a biopsy. The genetic will tell us what it was. The whale was following a shoal of bonitos and although we can’t be 100% sure, we think that it was feeding. Later on, we also observed 3-4 dolphins-like animals from far away. By the time we got close, they were gone. We stayed in the area for 30 min but found no sign of them despite Beaufort 1 conditions. We think that it might have been a group of beaked whales (that can perform very long apnea) since it seems unlikely that we would have lost of group of dolphins in such conditions.

Black mermaid - our research vessel in Santo

Comme hier, nous avons eu une bonne météo pour les observations du jour. Contrairement à hier, nous avons trouvé des dauphins !!! Enfin ! Un groupe de dauphins à long bec (15-20 individus) a été trouvé le long du récif de l’ilot Aese sur la côte Est. Ils n’étaient pas particulièrement curieux and donc, nous n’avons pu collecter que deux biopsies. Ceci dit, après trois jours sans rien voir, cela à suffit à notre bonheur… Peu après avoir quitté les « long bec », nous sommes tombés sur une baleine. Nous ne sommes pas sûrs s’il s’agit d’un petit rorqual ou d’une baleine d’Omura mais nous avons pu prendre une biopsie. La génétique pourra nous permettre d’en savoir plus. La baleine a suivi un banc de bonites pendant toute la rencontre et bien qu’on ne puisse pas en être 100% sûr, on pense qu’elle était en train de se nourrir. Plus tard, nous avons aussi observé 3-4 animaux ressemblant à des dauphins. Malheureusement, le temps que l’on approche, ils avaient disparu. Nous sommes restés dans la zone pendant 30 min mais aucun signe malgré une mer de Beaufort 1. On pense qu’il pourrait s’agir d’un groupe de baleines à bec (capable de très longue apnées) car il semble peu probable que nous ayons pu perdre de vue des dauphins aussi facilement dans de telles conditions d’observation.

Category:  Field surveys     

Survey #7 and #8 – 18-19 July 2012

I will be brief about the last couple of days because, again, we saw nothing, which was a big disappointment. Yesterday, the 19th, the fine weather was definitely back and therefore, we can’t blame the wind for the absence of sightings. I think that we’ve just been unlucky. Forecast is still good for our last three days. We got to find something!!!

Je resterai bref au sujet des deux derniers jours car, encore une fois, nous n’avons rien vu, ce qui est extrêmement décevant. Hier, le 19, le beau temps était enfin de retour et par conséquent, on ne peut pas blâmer le vent pour le manque d’observation. Je pense que nous sommes tout simplement malchanceux… Les prévisions météos restent bonnes pour nos trois derniers jours. Espérons que nous allons enfin trouver quelque chose !

Ambrym slit drum


Category:  Field surveys     

Survey#6 – 17 July 2012

Just a quick update on today’s survey. It was our first day out in Espiritu Santo. The wind has clearly dropped but we are more exposed than in Efate so the conditions were still not great when we were not on the lee. The boat did great and our captain is really nice but luck is still not on our side. No dolphins were found… We’re trying to stay motivated but we need a bit of action.

Un petit point rapide sur la sortie d’aujourd’hui. C’était notre première sortie à Espiritu Santo. Le vent s’est clairement calmé mais nous sommes plus exposé qu’à Efate et donc les conditions étaient encore loin d’être parfaites mise à part sous le vent des petites îles. Le bateau s’est très bien comporté et notre capitaine est très agréable mais la chance continue à nous faire défaut. Aucun dauphin n’a été trouvé… On fait de notre mieux pour rester motivé mais un peu d’action serait la bienvenue.

Category:  Field surveys     

Forecast Report #5

That’s more like it! Weather forecast looks much better for this week at Espiritu Santo although the first couple of days might still be a bit windy.

Enfin du beau temps! Les prévisions météo sont bien meilleures pour cette semaine à Espiritu Santo même si les deux premiers jours risquent d’être encore un petit peu venté.

Category:  Weather     

Arrival at Espiritu Santo

We travelled to Espiritu Santo this morning which will be our second study site of the expedition. Our new captain, Fabrice, was expecting us and we meet to check out the boat and discuss the next few days. Espiritu Santo is a much larger island than Efate and we won’t be able to cover all of it. Our effort will be concentrated on the South East part where we are staying but which is more exposed to the trade wind. Unfortunately, it was impossible to be based on the West coast. Thankfully, the weather should improve this week compared to what we got in Efate.

Study area at Espiritu Santo

Nous avons pris l’avion pour Espiritu Santo ce matin qui sera notre second site d’étude. Notre nouveau capitaine, Fabrice, nous attendait. Nous l’avons donc rencontré pour aller voir le bateau et parler des prochains jours de sortie en mer. Espiritu Santo est bien plus grand qu’Efate et nous ne pourrons pas couvrir l’ensemble des côtes. Notre effort se concentrera donc sur la partie Sud-Est où se trouve notre hôtel mais qui par contre est plus exposée au vent dominant. Malheureusement il n’était pas possible d’être basé sur la côte Ouest. Cependant, le temps devrait être bien meilleur cette semaine comparé à ce que nous avons connu à Efate.

Category:  Update     

Survey#5 – 15 July 2012

It was our last survey day in Efate and the strong South East wind didn’t give us a break. We did find a group of spinner dolphins anyway which were cruising not far from Port Havanna. Unfortunately they were not cooperative at all and we could not approach to collect biopsies. At the end of the day we drove back the boat at Port Vila, passing through the very rough Devil Point. These five survey days in Efate were not very productive because of the weather but we were lucky enough to get a few biopsies. Hopefully, we’ll be luckier at Espiritu Santo. Thanks very much to Aimeric, Rémi and Jino for being so helpful and friendly. We wish we could have shown you more of our work but we’ll try to come back another time.

C’était notre dernière sortie en mer à Efate et nous n’avons pas eu de répit de la part des alizés. Nous avons tout de même trouvé un groupe de dauphins à long bec se déplaçant dans le secteur de Port Havanna. Malheureusement ils n’étaient pas du tout coopératif et nous n’avons pas pu les approcher pour collecter des biopsies. A la fin de la journée nous avons ramené le bateau à Port Vila, après avoir passé la toujours très agitée Pointe du Diable. Ces cinq jours en mer à Efate n’ont pas été très productifs à cause d’une météo très défavorable mais nous avons quand même pu obtenir quelques biopsies. Nous espérons bien être plus chanceux à Espiritu Santo. Merci beaucoup à Aimeric, Rémi et Jino pour leur aide et leur bonne humeur. On aurait voulu vous faire partager un peu plus de notre travail mais nous essayerons de revenir une autre fois.

from left to right: Rémi, Jino, Aimeric, Marc, Véro

Category:  Field surveys     

Survey and forecast report#4 – 14 July 2012

Today, we saw our second dolphin species of the trip: the pantropical spotted dolphins. However, the encountered didn’t last long. We saw about fifteen of them but the sea was very rough (Beaufort 4) and we soon lost track of the group without a chance of collecting any biopsies. It was the only encounter of the day. Nothing surprising though, because we probably got the strongest wind since the beginning of the survey. And tomorrow should not be much different… Thankfully, it looks like we might get better conditions next week while be in Espiritu Santo (cf. Windguru forecast report below).

Aujourd’hui nous avons vu une seconde espèce de dauphin pour cette mission : le dauphin tacheté. Cependant, la rencontre n’a pas duré très longtemps. Nous en avons vu environ une quinzaine mais avec une mer très agitée de Beaufort 4, nous avons rapidement perdu le group sans aucune chance de pouvoir collecter des biopsies. Ce fut la seule rencontre de la journée. Rien d’étonnant ceci dit, étant donné que nous avons probablement connu la journée la plus venté depuis le début de la mission. Et il semble que demain ne sera pas beaucoup mieux… Heureusement, la météo nous annonce de meilleures conditions pour la semaine prochaine lorsque nous serons à Espiritu Santo (cf. prévisions Windguru ci-dessous).

Category:  Field surveys ,Weather     

Survey#3 – 13 July 2012

Starting from Port Havanna, we decided to survey the west coast of Moso Island for a start. The conditions along that island were very good with several areas that looked perfect for spinner dolphins. However, we saw none. After that, we travelled about 5 NM offshore to survey deep waters, hoping to find some pelagic species. Again, we had no luck which is not surprising since the sea-state was at Beaufort 4 all along. Later in day, we had several showers and still no dolphins. As we started to be discouraged and thinking of stopping the survey for the day, we found a group of about 20 spinner dolphins. They were not very curious of the boat but we collected a couple of biopsies anyway. This encounter saved our day and gave us some motivation for tomorrow.

Après un démarrage de Port Havanna, nous avons décidé de commencer par couvrir la côte Ouest de l’Ile Moso. Les conditions le long de cette île étaient excellentes avec plusieurs zones nous paraissant parfaites pour des dauphins à long bec. Cependant nous n’en avons vu aucun. Après cela, nous avons navigué 5 miles nautiques au large afin de couvrir des eaux profondes, dans l’espoir de trouver des espèces pélagiques. Mais une fois encore, la chance n’a pas été avec nous, ce qui est aussi à mettre sur le compte d’une mer de Beaufort 4. Plus tard dans la journée, nous avons eu plusieurs averses et toujours aucun dauphin. Alors que nous commencions à nous décourager, songeant même à stopper pour la journée, nous avons trouvé un groupe d’environ 20 dauphins à long bec. Ils n’étaient pas très curieux du bateau mais nous avons tout de même pu collecter 2 biopsies. Cette rencontre a sauvé notre journée et nous a redonné du baume au cœur pour demain.

Category:  Field surveys