skip page navigationOregon State University

« | »

Blocking, deflecting and disarming hurtful words

Posted March 1st, 2012 by UHDS News

Have you ever found yourself in an awkward situation where someone said something about race, relative ability, gender, sexual orientation etc. that you didn’t agree with but you didn’t know how to address the person or situation?

I personally have been in many situations where someone said something I didn’t agree with. I didn’t know to deal with these situations. I never liked stirring things up or being a “buzz kill” so I would change the subject or if it was a joke I would give them a fake chuckle. There were times when I left the situation feeling uneasy or resentful, feeling that I should have addressed the situation differently. A common place for this is when I go home and I hear my cousins, and even nephews, using homophobic slurs and racist jokes. It was always hard for me to say anything in those situations. It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I learned skills and became confident enough to properly address these situations. I am still a work in progress but I think I am much more prepared.

A few weeks ago, I was nominated to attend a 2.5-day retreat titled “Racial Aikido”. The retreat, originally founded at the University of Vermont, addressed how many students of color may be ill-prepared to deal with issues of race and racism, the lack of necessary tools to maintain a positive image, and the skill to respond to racially charged situations. This idea dismantles the stereotype that assumes students of color are experts on the concept of race simply because they are students of color. What is Racial Aikido? I offer the following information taken from materials at our retreat:

Aikido is called “the way of peace.” One would never seek to attack some one with Aikido; instead one will seek peaceful resolution of the conflict while continuously working toward self-improvement. A key principle of aikido is to not fight force with force. Racial Aikido is meant to help combat and defend against the many forms of racism by directing negative energy away from the core while maintaining a maximum of positive energy for ones self. There is absolutely no physical aspect to racial aikido; it is meant to help people of color to mentally prepare and verbally respond.

Although the skills discussed during the retreat pertain to racially charged situations, many of the skills and tools can also be used to address other identities and topics like religion, sexual orientation, sex, gender, class, ability, etc. The core of the retreat focuses on three techniques used in aikido: blocking, deflecting, and disarming.

Blocking is a technique used to defend one’s self by blocking an attack either verbally, emotionally, or cognitively. This technique is exactly what it sounds like; you can ignore a comment that is hurtful or simply cut off the conversation to indicate that you do not agree with the content. This technique is a good option when you are caught off guard by a comment and do not have a lot of time to respond. Sometimes a hurtful comment takes a lot of energy to respond to, blocking allows you to preserve some of that energy to heal after the comment is said. If I were using blocking to react to a situation, like the example of my cousin’s homophobic slur I mentioned earlier, I would walk away from the conversation until I composed a better response.

Deflecting is a technique used to redirect the person’s energy back onto them by asking questions and making it their issue to work on. Using this technique encourages the person to clarify their statement or comment. An example of deflecting is saying something like, “hey, what do you mean by that?” or “do you really think all people of Latino community are like that?” If I were to respond to my cousin by deflecting I would say, “What do you mean when you say “that’s gay”?

Disarming is a technique coming from an educational angle; it asks the person why they made their comment and then follows up with more accurate information. Using this technique disarms people of their ignorance and possibly provides them with alternative way to think about a specific issue. An example of disarming is saying something like, “why do you think that’s funny?” or “do you understand the meaning of that word and how people can be affected by it?” If I were to disarm my cousin and his homophobic slur I would say “So what’s wrong with being gay?” or if I have some knowledge and I wanted to disarm him of his ignorance I would say something like “Do you understand how hurtful that word is, and did you know people from the LGBT community have the highest attempted suicide rate which is linked to heterocentric cultures and institutionalized homophobia?” or “Do you understand you are using someone’s identity to say something is negative? How would you feel if others used one of your identities to describe something as bad?”

When responding to a situation, there is not a technique that is better than the other. The key is that you feel like you addressed the situation the best way you could at that moment. However, the more you practice reacting to these situations the better you will become at addressing hurtful and prejudice comments. By using these techniques, hopefully the situation is not at the back of your mind, affecting you throughout your day and sucking your energy.

I challenge you to think about how you can help make your community a more inclusive environment by using these techniques yourself! Hopefully these techniques can be useful tools for when you feel the need to address a situation that you encounter. Remember the key principle of aikido is to not fight force with force, rather redirect negative energy.

Miguel Arellano, Community Relations Facilitators

Be Sociable, Share!

15 Responses to “Blocking, deflecting and disarming hurtful words”

1. kitchenaid kfp740wh food processor Says:

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and appearance. I must say you’ve done a amazing job with this. Additionally, the blog loads very fast for me on Safari. Exceptional Blog!

2. 銅管 Says:

空心銅條

3. hoover steam cleaner f5918900 Says:

Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; we have developed some nice methods and we are looking to swap techniques with other folks, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

4. the first years c670 pink dot Says:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really great articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!

5. Bret Mitchusson Says:

I desired to thanks for this wonderful learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying each individual little little bit of it I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you publish

6. Steam Hack,Steam Keygen,Steam key generator,Free Steam games,all steam keygen Says:

Great post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I’m inspired! Very useful information particularly the closing section :) I maintain such information much. I was looking for this particular info for a very lengthy time. Thank you and good luck.

7. Wilbert Shariat Says:

I actually wanted to develop a word so as to say thanks to you for these wonderful recommendations you are posting on this site. My incredibly long internet investigation has now been compensated with awesome suggestions to exchange with my friends and classmates. I ‘d point out that we visitors are rather fortunate to live in a great network with so many marvellous individuals with good tactics. I feel really fortunate to have come across the web pages and look forward to many more enjoyable times reading here. Thank you once more for everything.

8. Smith Bob Says:

Well I seriously enjoyed reading through it. This article procured by you is quite practical with regard to proper organizing.

9. Keith Hudgins Says:

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to search out somebody with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this website is something that’s wanted on the net, someone with a bit of originality. useful job for bringing one thing new to the internet!

10. oszusci Says:

Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.|

11. Christian Louboutin Shoes Says:

Many take the form of brogued shoe boots, which look fabulous with cropped tailored trousers such as peg leg trousers.

12. Locul unde pasiunile si dorintelor ascunse pot deveni reale www.club-swingers.ro .Petreceri de socializare si de swing.Petreceri cu schimb de partenere,sex,fantezii. Says:

I just could not go away your site before suggesting that I really loved the standard info a person supply to your visitors? Is gonna be back steadily in order to check out new posts

13. foods that give you energy Says:

I as well as my guys appeared to be taking note of the best solutions from your web site and then the sudden came up with a horrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the web site owner for those strategies. These ladies appeared to be so warmed to study them and now have very much been using these things. I appreciate you for indeed being considerably accommodating and also for having such incredibly good guides most people are really eager to know about. My personal honest regret for not expressing appreciation to you earlier.

14. erotic american english literature Says:

amazing this is sooo very hot i nearly came merely via reading through it alone

15. Greensboro SEO Services Says:

A good guide for anyone who’s ever felt hurt by the words of others (which is nearly everyone). Thanks for posting and I’ll share this.