skip page navigationOregon State University

« | »

Blocking, deflecting and disarming hurtful words

Posted March 1st, 2012 by UHDS News

Have you ever found yourself in an awkward situation where someone said something about race, relative ability, gender, sexual orientation etc. that you didn’t agree with but you didn’t know how to address the person or situation?

I personally have been in many situations where someone said something I didn’t agree with. I didn’t know to deal with these situations. I never liked stirring things up or being a “buzz kill” so I would change the subject or if it was a joke I would give them a fake chuckle. There were times when I left the situation feeling uneasy or resentful, feeling that I should have addressed the situation differently. A common place for this is when I go home and I hear my cousins, and even nephews, using homophobic slurs and racist jokes. It was always hard for me to say anything in those situations. It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I learned skills and became confident enough to properly address these situations. I am still a work in progress but I think I am much more prepared.

A few weeks ago, I was nominated to attend a 2.5-day retreat titled “Racial Aikido”. The retreat, originally founded at the University of Vermont, addressed how many students of color may be ill-prepared to deal with issues of race and racism, the lack of necessary tools to maintain a positive image, and the skill to respond to racially charged situations. This idea dismantles the stereotype that assumes students of color are experts on the concept of race simply because they are students of color. What is Racial Aikido? I offer the following information taken from materials at our retreat:

Aikido is called “the way of peace.” One would never seek to attack some one with Aikido; instead one will seek peaceful resolution of the conflict while continuously working toward self-improvement. A key principle of aikido is to not fight force with force. Racial Aikido is meant to help combat and defend against the many forms of racism by directing negative energy away from the core while maintaining a maximum of positive energy for ones self. There is absolutely no physical aspect to racial aikido; it is meant to help people of color to mentally prepare and verbally respond.

Although the skills discussed during the retreat pertain to racially charged situations, many of the skills and tools can also be used to address other identities and topics like religion, sexual orientation, sex, gender, class, ability, etc. The core of the retreat focuses on three techniques used in aikido: blocking, deflecting, and disarming.

Blocking is a technique used to defend one’s self by blocking an attack either verbally, emotionally, or cognitively. This technique is exactly what it sounds like; you can ignore a comment that is hurtful or simply cut off the conversation to indicate that you do not agree with the content. This technique is a good option when you are caught off guard by a comment and do not have a lot of time to respond. Sometimes a hurtful comment takes a lot of energy to respond to, blocking allows you to preserve some of that energy to heal after the comment is said. If I were using blocking to react to a situation, like the example of my cousin’s homophobic slur I mentioned earlier, I would walk away from the conversation until I composed a better response.

Deflecting is a technique used to redirect the person’s energy back onto them by asking questions and making it their issue to work on. Using this technique encourages the person to clarify their statement or comment. An example of deflecting is saying something like, “hey, what do you mean by that?” or “do you really think all people of Latino community are like that?” If I were to respond to my cousin by deflecting I would say, “What do you mean when you say “that’s gay”?

Disarming is a technique coming from an educational angle; it asks the person why they made their comment and then follows up with more accurate information. Using this technique disarms people of their ignorance and possibly provides them with alternative way to think about a specific issue. An example of disarming is saying something like, “why do you think that’s funny?” or “do you understand the meaning of that word and how people can be affected by it?” If I were to disarm my cousin and his homophobic slur I would say “So what’s wrong with being gay?” or if I have some knowledge and I wanted to disarm him of his ignorance I would say something like “Do you understand how hurtful that word is, and did you know people from the LGBT community have the highest attempted suicide rate which is linked to heterocentric cultures and institutionalized homophobia?” or “Do you understand you are using someone’s identity to say something is negative? How would you feel if others used one of your identities to describe something as bad?”

When responding to a situation, there is not a technique that is better than the other. The key is that you feel like you addressed the situation the best way you could at that moment. However, the more you practice reacting to these situations the better you will become at addressing hurtful and prejudice comments. By using these techniques, hopefully the situation is not at the back of your mind, affecting you throughout your day and sucking your energy.

I challenge you to think about how you can help make your community a more inclusive environment by using these techniques yourself! Hopefully these techniques can be useful tools for when you feel the need to address a situation that you encounter. Remember the key principle of aikido is to not fight force with force, rather redirect negative energy.

Miguel Arellano, Community Relations Facilitators

Be Sociable, Share!

77 Responses to “Blocking, deflecting and disarming hurtful words”

1. طراحی و توسعه سایت Says:

طراحی سایت

2. tech ponds Says:

i like to visit again

3. john Says:

i loe this website .. its really Etertaining

4. pele Says:

thanks alot. after reading your article,i Download it in my heart

5. Brown Says:

Thanks so much for sharing this educative article

6. Lewis Says:

Such an entertaining post you’ve got here

7. mrclean Says:

good and beautiful report, thanks for the release and sharing

8. Umzugsreinigung mrclean.ch Says:

9. Kenneth Says:

Thanks for sharing this, i really learnt from this entertaining article

10. Büroreinigung Says:

Spezial thanx to you for sharing this report

11. HWS Hauswartung Says:

i like it, and thank for the releasing of this. till next

12. temsilcimizolun Says:

I have just finished reading the article.
    While much has been written on this topic, your article expresses both the positive and negative aspects of this important topic.
    Thank you for your thorough research and clear writing.

13. uyemizolun Says:

Thanks for sharing the vital points in the article.

14. uyeolun Says:

15. Ken Says:

this really interesting.. thank you for sharing!

16. متخصص ارتودنسی Says:

متخصص ارتودنسی

17. اجاره خودرو Says:

اجاره خودرو

18. MyHindi Says:

MyHindi

19. Bettie Chinchilla Says:

After study a couple of of the weblog posts in your website now, and I really like your approach of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and might be checking back soon. Pls take a look at my web page as nicely and let me know what you think.

20. Video downloader Says:

Thanks for this useful info. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

21. Scholarships Says:

Great content!

” Apply for scholarships to study abroad on click away

22. Instagram downloader online Says:

Love this content and best article. Thanks,

23. Deer mouse Says:

Awesome Information sharing .. I am extremely cheerful to peruse this article .. much obliged for giving us experience info.

24. راه پله پیچ Says:

راه پله پیچ

25. پرورش ماهی Says:

پرورش ماهی

26. instagram saver Says:

People all above the planet are consuming and sharing films on a day-to-day foundation,
    not just YouTube video clips but now also Facebook, Instagram, and
    even Twitter movies. All of the significant social media platforms are actively trying
    to find to make films an important element of their platform,
    and as a marketer you merely cannot disregard this. Just one 3rd of all on the net exercise is invested watching
    movies, in accordance to Electronic Sherpa’s 25 Wonderful Movie Internet
    marketing Statistics. What’s extra, movie improves peoples’ understanding of your item or support by a whopping seventy four%, producing advertising and marketing films an great
    software for presenting new merchandise and providers and showcasing them in action.

Video promoting ought to be a important component of your online
    marketing and advertising tactic. To inspire you with your online video advertising campaign, right
    here is a set of most effective techniques which will make your endeavours additional
    successful.

Produce a realistic online video promoting system

You want a prolonged-phrase goal and limited-time period targets, as nicely as to make
    a decision how the video clip will consider to appeal to and interact customers.

Also, you ought to decide what kind of action the viewer need to
    be inspired to consider immediately after viewing the video, whether or not it is to get, be
    part of you on social media, or stop by your internet site.

Target a unique audience

Marketing video clips are much more efficient when they supply a applicable working
    experience to a selected team of individuals, irrespective of whether it is youthful mothers, center-aged
    guys, hockey lovers, or household gardening fanatics. The concentrating on can be
    further narrowed down to associates of a group who satisfy specified requirements primarily based on age,
    training, and cash flow level.

Continue to keep your video clips quick

There is no consensus on the ideal size of marketing and advertising
    video clips, but judging from the duration of the most well-liked movies on each networks, as very well as by Adweek, it appears to be
    that the most popular YouTube movies are underneath 3 minutes, when well-known Instagram videos are just fifteen seconds lengthy.
    You can normally experiment with the size of your
    movies to see what will work greatest for your manufacturer, but as a rule, preserve
    them short.

Select subjects that are certain to entice desire and develop
    engagement

People are most fascinated in video clips that answer a person or additional queries they may
    have about your brand or your merchandise & providers or that
    highlights a issue your organization can clear up for them.

Do not overproduce movies

Producing movies that glance far too skilled can in fact make them a
    lot less private and give them a company tone that alienates consumers.
    Many of the most preferred YouTube movies have minimal creation costs, usually being filmed with each day cameras and smartphones.

Embed text in movies

Use a catching and related title frame and incorporate keyword
    phrases and phrases more than photos, as effectively as
    a phone-to-action backlink at the conclusion of the movie.
    Text makes films far more partaking and aids convey your information greater, specifically on Fb, wherever films in the news feed are vehicle-played on mute.

Optimize films for look for engines

Don’t forget that YouTube is the world’s next greatest research motor.
    Use a effectively-decided on key phrase in the title, description, and tag, as well as in the video clip description. These make a video clip easier to find on the net and ranks it higher in the look for effects.

Add the online video to every single social community, as a substitute of sharing the YouTube connection

This reduces the variety of clicks viewers have to
    make ahead of participating in your video, and
    also removes occasional playback concerns.

Be productive.

Brands that successfully harness the power of movie
    advertising and marketing have fifty% a lot more films for each channel than the rest.

Use video analytics to measure your video promoting efficiency

A lot of movie-primarily based social networks offer you you created-in tools for monitoring viewing designs for your videos.
    Much more innovative analytics accessible as standalone Web-primarily based computer software or downloadable application also function movie
    internet marketing monitoring resources.

Movie marketing has develop into highly aggressive,
    but if you stick to the very best methods described higher than and strive to build appealing, informative, or entertaining videos that interact your audience, your movie advertising
    endeavours will be rewarded with sights, shares, visitors, and in the end, income.

Pamela Wigglesworth is an intercontinental advertising communication coach, keynote speaker and Handling Director of Experiential Fingers-on Finding out, a schooling and enhancement enterprise.
    A resident of Asia for around 25 years, she helps companies
    throughout many industries to enhance recognition, raise leads and finally improve their gross sales.

27. mend relationships Says:

Christian dating advice for older singles

Blocking, deflecting and disarming hurtful words – Experience of a Lifetime