« | »

The End of a New Beginning

Posted January 11th, 2011 by mclaugke

This article marks the end of my first term as a Community Relations Facilitator for the residence halls.  Although, with the help of the RA’s great programs have been done within the residence halls, I can’t help but wonder what the rest of my year will look like. Social Justice is not something I can’t just learn or teach and then move on to the next thing in life; it is a process. Being able to fully grasp the concept of social justice has not been an easy process because the change had to begin from within. As mentioned in my earlier topics I’ve had to come to terms with myself and feel comfortable in my own identities in order for me to be able to teach social justice.

With the holidays around the corner it is almost impossible not to think of others and how they are spending their time. This time of year helps me be very grateful for everything I have and the people who I have surrounded myself with.

This time of year is also a reminder that I am not alone. Just as I have appreciated a helping hand when I needed one, there are many people out there who might need someone to assist them as well. By no means do I hope that individuals only decide to help others during the holidays but that the holidays mark the day they will begin helping others for the rest of the year. For me this is what social justice is about. Treating others the way I want to be treated. If I don’t want to live in terrible housing conditions, then I shouldn’t allow others to live in terrible conditions either. If I don’t appreciate it when someone makes a discriminatory comment toward me, than there is no need for me to discriminate or allow others to be discriminated. I can go on and on about all the things that I wouldn’t like for others to do but in the end I go back to my simple definition of treating others the way I want to be treated.

Melissa Rico

Community Relations Facilitator- Westside

The comments shared by the Community Relations Facilitator program are strictly the point of view from the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of UHDS. If this article has inspired a desire to dialogue, the author, or another CRFn and/or any Resident Assistant or Resident Dreictor  would be happy to participate. Please contact Victor Santana-Melgoza (Victor.Santana-Melgoza@oregonstate.edu), UHDS Multicultural Resource Coordinator, to assist in making arrangements.

Tags: ,

One Response to “The End of a New Beginning”

1. film streaming Says:

This time of year helps me be very grateful for everything I have and the people who I have surrounded myself with.