skip page navigationOregon State University

« | »

Managing That Sweet Tooth over the Holidays

Posted November 30th, 2010 by mclaugke

The Holiday season is upon us and for many, this is a season of giving….and eating. 🙂  For my family, the Holidays are a time of year to enjoy the company of family and friends and share treats like pumpkin pie, frosted cookies, peanut brittle, and (one of my favorite’s) Aunt Julie’s Rocky Road fudge.  Although we celebrate different holiday traditions, for the most part, we share the experience of enjoying special foods and treats.  Food is a vital part of the Holiday experience and helps “amplify” the spirit of the season.

However delicious, many of the Holiday treats are sweet and based in refined carbohydrates and sugar…and over-indulgence of these goodies can send our bodies on a roller coaster ride of sugar highs and lows.

It is interesting that in nature you hardly ever find a carbohydrate that is not protected by a covering of fiber.  Even the sugar in sugar cane is protected by a dense husk that (once upon a time) we had to chew on to break down the fibers to get to the sugar.  Fiber protects the plants grains from nature’s elements, and it also protects our bodies.  Minimally processed carbohydrates such as whole grains break down slowly in our bodies and help us maintain more stable blood sugar levels.

“Are Carbs Bad For Me”?

As UHDS’ dietitian, this is definitely one of the top ten questions that I hear.  The answer?  No (they’re not bad for us), in fact they are essential. Carbohydrates are our bodies’ most efficient fuel source.  On average, carbohydrates account for 50-60% of our daily calories.  Our bodies’ process carbohydrates differently depending on how “refined” they are.  Refined carbohydrates have been processed to remove the bran or fiber, leaving smaller chains of sugar that the body can easily break down into simple sugars (our cell’s #1 energy choice).

So eating more refined carbohydrates (such as candy, sugary treats, soda, white rice, white flour) can cause blood sugars to spike and consequently, cause spikes in insulin to allow the our cells to take in the sugar.  These sugar “highs and lows” can be taxing on our body and sometimes people feel a “sugar crash” (tired, lack of focus) after eating too many refined carbs.

Veering from the Sugar Crash

Here a few simple strategies to keep from the “sugar crash” over the holidays:

• Savor the flavor.  Most of the time we feel just as satisfied with a small amount of sweet treats than if we were to eat a larger portion.
  • Fill up with veggies, fruit, lean proteins and whole grains before (or while) enjoying your treat.
  • Make fresh fruit your portable, 100% biodegradable  snack of choice –fresh apples, bananas and oranges are only $.65 in UHDS dining centers and stores—grab a few and enjoy in your room, on your way to class, or on a road trip!
  • Quench that thirst…with water! Fill up that reusable water bottle and make that your #1 beverage choice over sugary beverages.  Drinking water will help keep you hydrated during the busy season and provide a feeling of fullness.

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Managing That Sweet Tooth over the Holidays”

1. Shelley Says:

I just could not depart your website prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back often in order to check up on new posts

2. pirater facebook gratuit Says:

Wonderful website. Plenty of helpful information here. I’m sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks in your effort!

3. check this vid Says:

An impressive share, I merely with all this onto a colleague who was performing a modest evaluation within this. Anf the husband the fact is purchased me breakfast because of the reality I stumbled upon it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx using the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending some time to talk about this, I believe strongly concerning it and adore reading far more about this topic. If possible, as you turn out to be experience, are you able to thoughts updating your website to comprehend specifics? It is usually particularly helpful for me. Huge thumb up in this text!

4. Zoila Cleckner Says:

If I telecommute for my job, can I be living outside the country during my employment?

5. Dante Verry Says:

Surf shorts are designed to withstand being abruptly pulled off. Unlike speedos or shorts for land, shorts are long and baggy. Surfers use wax on their surfboards to provide resistance against their feet. Without shorts covering a surfers legs, the surf wax could potentially stick to a surfers leg hair and then rip when attempting to stand up. The length of these shorts is based off of fashion. Shorts come in all different lengths. Boardshorts This is especially important when wiping out on a surfboard or being knocked out by a wave. On the side of a pair of swim trunks is a velcro pocket. Having a pocket on a pair of trunks is very effective for holding a car key when surfing. Unlike speedos or shorts for land, shorts are long and baggy. Surf wax can become a hazard if a surfers legs are not properly covered. Though made for functionality, the design of beach shorts is known to change more often based on the latest trends in popular clothing style. Shorts come in all different lengths. Some people wear swim wear exceptionally baggy. There are many different colors, styles and prints to consider when buying a pair of shorts.

6. Rosa Draffin Says:

http://bigbeanbagchair.webs.com So content to get found this article.. yes, research is paying off. I enjoy you showing your perspective.. Wonderful feelings you possess here..

7. Teisha Oriordan Says:

There is apparently a bundle to identify about this. I consider you made various good points in features also.

8. indie music updates Says:

One thing I would like to say is that often car insurance cancellation is a hated experience and if you’re doing the proper things like a driver you’ll not get one. Some individuals do receive the notice that they’ve been officially dropped by their particular insurance company they then have to struggle to get supplemental insurance after having a cancellation. Low cost auto insurance rates are usually hard to get after having a cancellation. Understanding the main reasons concerning the auto insurance cancelling can help owners prevent getting rid of in one of the most critical privileges offered. Thanks for the thoughts shared via your blog.

9. see it here Says:

We stumbled more than right here by a unique web page and believed I may possibly check factors out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to obtaining out about your net web page for a second time.

10. EverQuest Next Says:

There is evidently a bundle to identify about this. I think you made certain nice points in features also.

11. Blair Yucha Says:

Wow, awesome weblog layout! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you made running a blog glance easy. The full glance of your website is fantastic, as neatly as the content material!

12. compare business electricity prices Says:

Good website! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a great day!

13. Cleotilde Pults Says:

thank you for helpful ideas and simply excellent information

14. eliquid Says:

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

15. Business electricity prices Says:

I enjoy reading a post that will make men
    and women think. Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

16. film streaming Says:

I am now not positive the place you’re getting your information, however great topic.

17. Cindi Nanny Says:

Well I definitely enjoyed studying it. This tip offered by you is very useful for accurate planning.

18. Anonymous Says:

I’ve be aware of a number of nutrients here. Definitely fine importance bookmarking regarding revisiting. I surprise immediately how a lot exertion a person put to help make this classify of superb enlightening website.

19. straight from the source Says:

straight from the source…

Managing That Sweet Tooth over the Holidays » Experience of a Lifetime…

20. business electricity prices Says:

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?

My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Thanks!

My blog – business electricity prices

21. save money at sony.co.uk Says:

save money at sony.co.uk

Managing That Sweet Tooth over the Holidays – Experience of a Lifetime

22. Claus Says:

Nice article. You have posted great stuff.

23. Christmas Wallpapers Says:

Sweet Christmas toot. Manage it.

24. film streaming Says:

25. Teri Repke Says:

Personal injury lawyer columbus ga ?

26. Jimmy Riexinger Says:

naturally like your web site however you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I will certainly come back again.