« | »

Speaking Up

Posted November 3rd, 2010 by mclaugke

I must admit during the first few weeks on the job, I was curious to see how being the only woman and Latina would play out with the group I was working with. My curiosity developed as I had the opportunity to work with the rest of my team members and I began to realize how our attitudes and ways of thinking about issues were very different at times. Instead of letting these differences get in the way, I am learning how to make use of these differences in a positive way.

Being a woman working with three males (four if you include my supervisor) might not sound easy, but there are some advantages. I remember the first few days of training we participated in different leadership and bonding activities. I noticed it was difficult to speak up because the men seemed to dominate every conversation in the room. At first this was intimidating, but I soon realized that in order for my voice to be heard, I was going to have to confront my fear and speak louder and clearer, above the male voices in the room. I also saw, and continue to see, this as a way to not only further develop my speaking skills but as a way in which my abilities to comfortably speak in male dominated environments. This is something that as a Latina woman I was not used to at all.

As a female, who happens to be Latina, I was brought up with this idea of respect. I was taught to respect my teachers, my family members, males, and everyone older than me. I was also taught not to question, but to simply accept what others told me. It has been this ideology that I’ve had to learn how to challenge myself, and as difficult as it is to change something that I have been brought up with, I am enjoying it. I enjoy it because this job is preparing me for the real world, a world in where society privileges males. In this job, I am learning how to utilize my two subordinate identities to make a statement. I hope this statement is powerful enough for others to see that when given the opportunity. People with subordinated identities also have great things to contribute into a group, and must learn how to find ways to make those contributions heard.

Melissa Rico

Community Relations Facilitator- Westside

www.oregonstate.edu/uhds/diversity_initiative/crf

The comments shared by the Community Relations Facilitator program are strictly the point of view from the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of UHDS. If this article has inspired a desire to dialogue, the author, or another CRF and/or any Resident Assistant, CoOp Director or Resident Director  would be happy to participate. Please contact Victor Santana-Melgoza (Victor.Santana-Melgoza@oregonstate.edu), UHDS Multicultural Resource Coordinator, to assist in making arrangements.