« | »

Rich Turnbull–From Farm to the Table

Posted November 19th, 2009 by Allyson

On Tuesday, Jeff La Magra and I were invited by Stahlbush Farms to tour their processing plant and biogas energy plant.  Stahlbush farms which is located just the other side of the Willamette River is the national leader in sustainable agriculture and food production.  Their biogas plant is the first of its kind in North America and generates enough electricity to provide service to 1100 homes by digesting the vegetable waste from its processing plant to create gas used to heat their plant and power generators to generate electricity.  We had a very interesting tour and as we continue to reach out to local farmers and ranchers to supply food for the 9500+ meals we prepare and serve every day, it made me think about a question we received the other day about how we go about purchasing the foods we use.

A few years ago we made a conscious decision to build our meal plan program around culinary excellence.  We recruited and eventually were successful in hiring Jeff La Magra who serves as our Director of Culinary Development.  Jeff heads a culinary faculty made up of our registered dietician, Tara Sanders; David Lewis and Dale Lawson at McNary Dining; Shakoda Hill at Marketplace West; and Bruce Hoerauf and Nathan McClure of Arnold Center and OSU Catering.  This creative team of culinarians works with local brokers, vendors, farmers, and ranchers to product test, evaluate and purchase the highest quality ingredients available.  We have an inventory of 7000-8000 food items in stock at any one time and over 450 items on our menus available on any given day.  It takes several vendors to supply all of our needs in order for us to provide our residents with the wide variety of choices available each day.

We buy locally when possible because we believe this is in alignment with the land grant mission of OSU.  We also know locally grown foods are generally fresher, of higher quality, last longer, support the local farm economy, and help in reducing our carbon footprint.  Our apples and pears come from Riverwood Orchard and Farms, much of our beef comes from Country Natural Beef, pork from local farms, lamb from Rainsheep Farms, berries from Willamette Fruit, bread from Williams Bakery, milk and dairy products from Spring Valley Dairy, cheeses from Tillamook and Rogue Valley and other local creameries, gelato from a gelaterria in Eugene, and a wide variety of other wonderful products from local businesses.

We use the power of a national Group Purchasing Organization, HPSI/CURB to ensure that we get the best pricing for the products we specify and we negotiate directly with national manufacturers to provide deviated pricing and marketing allowances which help reduce the cost of food to the students we serve by tens of thousands of dollars each year.  Our grocery bill is roughly $5 million per year and we serve approximately 2 million meals per year.  To prepare and serve those meals we employ nearly 100 full time staff members and about 600 part-time student employees.

Your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and questions are always welcome.  Please don’t hesitate to call me or email me.

Best regards,

Rich Turnbull

Associate Director

University Housing And Dining Services

Richard.turnbull@oregonstate.edu

541-737-0689

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Rich Turnbull–From Farm to the Table”

1. weebly reviews Says:

Microsoft is partaking in unlawful predatory practices that go properly past the scope of fair competition. – Orrin Hatch

2. Tyson Tessendorf Says:

Awesome blog.Really looking forward to read more. Will read on…

3. Hong Sabat Says:

The financial instruments floated by these organizations include stocks, shares, bonds, debentures, commercial certificates and numerous more. The values of these instruments keep fluctuating from time to time.

4. Edmund Donati Says:

Well I sincerely enjoyed reading it. This article procured by you is very helpful for proper planning.

5. foods that give you energy Says:

I am only writing to make you know of the beneficial experience my friend’s child obtained reading your blog. She came to understand plenty of pieces, with the inclusion of what it is like to have an ideal helping character to have the mediocre ones completely fully understand various impossible subject areas. You undoubtedly did more than visitors’ desires. Thanks for presenting the great, safe, informative and even easy thoughts on your topic to Kate.

6. turbotax free Says:

I would like to get across my appreciation for your kind-heartedness giving support to persons who really want assistance with in this situation. Your personal commitment to passing the solution across has been especially beneficial and has truly helped guys much like me to achieve their dreams. Your valuable suggestions can mean so much to me and substantially more to my office workers. With thanks; from everyone of us.

7. gas cookers cheap Says:

I must express my appreciation to the writer just for rescuing me from such a situation. Right after surfing around throughout the the net and getting views that were not pleasant, I believed my life was gone. Being alive without the presence of solutions to the problems you have sorted out as a result of your entire guideline is a serious case, and the kind that would have badly damaged my entire career if I had not come across the blog. Your good understanding and kindness in playing with a lot of things was excellent. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a stuff like this. I can at this point look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot very much for this reliable and sensible help. I will not be reluctant to refer the website to anybody who should get counselling on this situation.

8. Hettie Elerick Says:

I believe this web site contains some rattling good information for everyone. “There is nothing so disagreeable, that a patient mind cannot find some solace for it.” by Lucius Annaeus Seneca.

9. http://damienpiller.org/ Says:

Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

10. http://patrickmahony.blogspot.com Says:

Everything is very open with a clear description of the issues.
    It was really informative. Your site is useful. Thank you for sharing!

11. khóa học lập trình Says:

khóa học lập trình

blog topic

12. orthodontie adulte Says:

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was totally right.
    This submit truly made my day. You can not consider simply how so much time I had
    spent for this info! Thanks!