*Invitations coming soon*
Timeframe: April 30th – May 2nd, tentative start time in the afternoon of April 30th, with an end time of 1pm on May 2. Overnight lodging will be available the night of April 29th and May 2nd for those who need it to participate in the full 2 days.
Participants: We anticipate a group of 25 individuals, including the PIs and Co-PIs of the project. For this initial meeting, we are including participants on an invite-only basis to make sure we have all of the areas of expertise for our project represented. Future meetings will include a broader call for participants.
1) Sharing and developing methods to better assess student outcomes.
2) Identifying effective program features, especially those serving the full diversity of undergraduates.
3) Coordinating research across programs and disciplines into important questions about field-based teaching and learning.
- Considering results of an analysis of the current landscape of intensive field experiences now underway as a seed-effort for the Network. What are the current models of recruitment and program delivery, what outcomes are targeted and how are these assessed, and what do we know about how students of different backgrounds respond and why?
- Delving into a case study of cross-site inquiry about student outcomes in the Biology REU program as both a first effort of the Network and a potential model for new initiatives.
- Identifying high priority/high payoff initiatives and forming working groups to tackle these.
- Visioning the future of the Network and making plans for its growth and sustenance.