In this teach project you will learn how to set up a Facebook Fan Page
Let’s go over a bit of Facebook history first via The Guardian
- In 2004 Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook while a student at Harvard University.
- The social networking site started as a small network of Harvard Students only
- By the summer of 2005 all US universities were included in the site.
- In September 2006 Facebook was opened to include anyone with a valid email address. This has allowed for the development of the Facebook Fan Page for groups and organizations.
Interesting facts about Facebook
- Over 500 million active users
- 50% of active users login at least once per day
- Average user has 130 friends
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- Two-thirds of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites have integrated with Facebook
- More than 70 translations available on the site
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
- Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application
What exactly will you be learning from this tutorial?
- What is a Facebook Fan Page anyway?
- Prerequisites for page set up
- How to set up Facebook Fan Page
How is Facebook used differently by women?
- Women have more active Facebook profiles than men with 55% more posts on their walls compared to men according to Infographic.
- Women describe more about their personal lives than men.
- Women make up over 56% of all active users.
- Women over 55 yrs old are the fastest growing demographic on Facebook
My personal experience with Facebook and Fan Pages
I have used Facebook for the last three years for personal, business, and community profiles/pages. I began using Facebook after my divorce to network and find new friends. I had been a long time Myspace user and didn’t really like the Facebook layout in comparison to Myspace. It took me some time to get used to the layout and how to best utilize the Facebook platform.
Once I had some time to play around with Facebook on a personal/social level I decided to try setting up a Fan Page for my business. I taught myself how to use many of the available apps and add-ons Facebook has to offer to get the most out of my new Fan Page. I have since started several other business and community pages for myself and friends. Click the link to go to my business page Enigma.
I set up my business page in September of 2009 and have 348 active fans as of today. I use my page as our main source of advertising. Facebook has allowed me to reach people interested in my business from as far away as India, Germany, and Russia. It has been instrumental in getting the word out about the business in Salem and has allowed us to grow without having to spend a large portion of our budget on advertising.
Let’s Get Started!