Week 5 – Typical vs. Maximal Performance

Choosing from two great candidates that have very different working ethics is difficult. After reading the scenarios few times and weighting my options I have decided that I would go with Avery. Although Jaimes is more punctual and consistent with her job, Avery might bring more fresh ideas into the company. There is also a possibility that a manager or someone else from the company can work with him on not slacking with his work and better manage his time.

Another reason I chose Avery over Jaime is because I am not sure for what type of a job I am hiring him. I think that for tech jobs Avery would be a great candidate or for jobs such as a start up company, marketing and other highly creative jobs. For some of these jobs, Avery’s slack would not be considered as bad if he was coming up with new and creative ideas. In this since, Avery is more valuable to whatever company over Jaime, as Jaime may be great at her work, consistent but not really creative and contributing with new ideas to the job. I believe that those type of jobs are more office jobs, for example accounting and finance where there is already a system that works for people and the employees need to follow that. For jobs like those Jaime is definitely more valuable employee than Avery is because the job is done more efficiently, on time and constantly. I think that for all types of workers there are different types of employees and as we have been discussing in class, it is important to find the right fit.