Our first seminar to train grad students to communicate science and risk beyond academia (#TOX607) ) is coming to an end. Next week is our very last class. This multidisciplinary seminar included 48 grad students from 14 different departments.
The students gained knowledge in key areas that are mostly overlooked in graduate programs.
- Describing research in plain language
- Using tools in Microsoft Word to assess for readability and grade level.
- Distilling the message and bottom line of your research
- Re-framing questions about safety using the risk framework
- Utilizing active listening techniques and the importance of listening
- Writing for the web
- Understanding the role and importance of social media tools and platforms to communication science
Today students got a taste of Twitter, and here is a story about it.