Welcome Kasey & Kendal

Hello, my name is Kasey Johnson. Recently I have been hired as a partial backfill for the position of Klamath & Lake Counties Forest and Natural Resources Extension Agent, to partially fill in behind Daniel Leavell. Prior to my involvement with OSU Extensions, I worked in Lakeview for the Oregon Department of Forestry. While working […]

February 7, 2020

Hello, my name is Kasey Johnson. Recently I have been hired as a partial backfill for the position of Klamath & Lake Counties Forest and Natural Resources Extension Agent, to partially fill in behind Daniel Leavell. Prior to my involvement with OSU Extensions, I worked in Lakeview for the Oregon Department of Forestry. While working with ODF I held multiple different positions ranging from off-season fuels and forestry work, to a season spent fighting fire. My most recent position within ODF allowed for me to be involved in an awesome opportunity to participate in Landscape Scale Treatment, through the North Warner Multi-Ownership Forest Health Project. Within this project I worked with partnering natural resource entities, and private forest owners within the project area giving technical forestry advice, and assisting with multiple grants geared towards forest restoration and forest health. Prior to starting my professional forestry career, I attended Oregon State University and received a degree in Forest Management. I grew up in Central Oregon, and moved to Klamath Falls in 2010. I am thankful to work within Lake & Klamath Counties, and the ability to recreate within all of Eastern Oregon, as there is nothing but beauty and open spaces all around.

Kendal has worked in Oregon and New Mexico with Sustainable Northwest and the Forest Stewards Guild to coordinate outreach, engagement, and peer learning around collaborative forest restoration, wildfire mitigation, and Fire Adapted Communities. She is driven by being able to connect with landowners and community members to steward forests and watersheds, and provide tools to increase resiliency to wildfire, especially in rural communities.

She is a trained facilitator and believes in the power of honest, science-based dialogue among agencies and the public to inform sound management decisions and strengthen community governance. Kendal also served as a Forestry Extension Agent with the US Peace Corps where she focused on agroforestry and sustainable agriculture in rural Zambia. Kendal has degrees in Sociology and Geography from Stephen F. Austin State University, a Graduate Certificate in Collaborative Governance from Portland State University, and is currently pursuing a Masters of Forestry in Sustainable Forest Management at Oregon State University.

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized