With a few fantastic visiting students!Simonich Headshot

Staci Simonich | staci.simonich@oregonstate.edu

Associate Professor, Ph.D., Indiana University
Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs in the College of Science

Regional and global environmental fate, transport, and deposition of semi-volatile organic compounds in the atmosphere, aquatic, and terrestrial compartments.

Novel and improved analytical methods and techniques for studying the fate of semi-volatile organic contaminants in the environment.
Awards:
Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry/Roy F. Weston Environmental Chemistry Award (2001)
NSF Career Award 2003

anna

Anna Chlebowski | Anna.Chlebowski@oregonstate.edu

**Anna recently successfully defended her dissertation.  Congratulations Dr. Chlebowski!!
I am a fifth-year PhD student in Toxicology, working both with Dr. Simonich and Dr. Tanguay. I received my B.S. in Biochemistry from Western Washington University. My research projects are focused on nitrated PAH derivatives, which previous students in the lab synthesized and predicted form in the environment. My first project investigated the sorption of PAHs and NPAHs to the polystyrene plates used for zebrafish toxicity screening. My other projects include investigation of the developmental toxicity and mechanisms of action of NPAHs and heterycyclic PAHs in embryonic zebrafish, as well as the metabolism of NPAHs. I also received an NIEHS NRSA Fellowship to fund my research projects.

Ivan Titaley | Ivan.Titaley@oregonstate.eduIvan Titaley
I am a 4th year chemistry PhD Candidate working under the supervision of Dr. Staci Simonich. I graduated with B.A. in chemistry with minor in sustainability and environmental studies from Berea College in Berea, KY in 2013 after previously finishing high school in Central Java, Indonesia. My primary research concerns analysis and measurement of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and the degradation products, particularly oxygenated- and hydroxy-PAHs (OPAHs and OHPAHs, respectively), in various environmental matrices using gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry (GC/MS). I also plan on incorporating computational chemistry into my research to potentially predict the formation of OPAHs and OHPAHs. Outside the lab I enjoy watching basketball and soccer, listening to classical music, and cooking!

LiLisandra Santiago Delgadosandra Santiago Delgado | santilis@oregonstate.edu
I am a fourth year Masters student in Analytical Chemistry, and a Masters student in Environmental Toxicology. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, where I received a B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. My research is focused on studying the transformation of PAHs to oxygenated PAHs (oxy- and hydroxy-PAHs) during thermal remediation of creosote-contaminated soils. Currently focusing in steam injections as the remedial technique, my goals are to determine what oxygenated PAHs are being formed during and after remediation, develop methods to quantify these analytes and determine the toxicity in soil before and after remediation. On my spare time I enjoy spending time with family and friends, volunteering with kids at Life Community Church, and just relaxing at home watching TV or working in the yard.

Justin Rewerts | rewertsj@oregonstate.eduJustin
I am third year graduate student in the Department of Chemistry at Oregon State University.  Obtained my Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry from Saint Martin’s University in Lacey, WA.  Throughout my undergraduate career, I focused primarily on synthetic organic chemistry. This led to his participation in the National Science Foundation funded Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF-REU) program where I worked on developing a viable synthetic route towards hepatotoxic alkaloids found in poison dart frogs under the direction of Dr. Jeff Aubé at the University in Kansas.  I then shifted focus in my first year at OSU and joined the Simonich lab in the summer of 2015, where I enjoy a shared mentor-ship between both the Staci Simonich and Jennifer Field.  I am studying the presence of volatile polyfluorinated alkyl substances in consumer products. Outside of the lab, I enjoy dance fitness, cooking, music, traveling, swimming, and learning foreign languages.

Amber KraAmber Kramermer | krameamb@oregonstate.edu
I am a second year PhD student, originally from rural Indiana I spent some time moving around the country before going back to school at California State University Channel Islands to earn a BS in Chemistry.  I am studying the formation of substituted PAHs during chemical oxidation remediation of contaminated soils.  The quantification and identification of these substituted PAHs, and their potential toxicities, will provide a better picture of the success of chemical oxidation remediation techniques to alleviate total PAHs from contaminated soils.  I am also monitoring PAH levels on particulate matter (PM) for a tribal community located near two oil refineries.  This project will broaden the knowledge of how PAHs get adsorbed and absorbed onto PM, where they can be transported through the atmosphere.  This project is also looking for source indicators for refineries.  I enjoy spending spare time outside with my dog, hiking, camping, running, rock climbing, playing volleyball, or taking a trip to the beach.

Jill Schrlau | Jill.Schrlau@oregonstate.eduJill Schrlau
Before moving to Oregon 12 years ago, I lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida. I have a BS in Chemistry and Environmental Science from Florida International University, an MS in Analytical Chemistry and an MS in Environmental Engineering from Oregon State University. I am currently managing the Simonich Lab.

CCourtneyourtney Roper, PhD | roperco@oregonstate.edu
I am a National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) postdoctoral fellow working in both the Simonich and Tanguay Labs.  My interests lie in understanding the health effects of the complex mixtures of air pollutants in the environment through a multidisciplinary research approach. Air pollution is comprised of varying groups of components (including metals and PAHs) and specific groups of components are suspected to be drivers of the human health effects associated with exposure to air pollution. Specifically, I am investigating the health effects of components of ambient fine particulate matter (PM2.5) using zebrafish embryos as a model organism. My research incorporates environmental chemistry, toxicology, and epidemiology in order to better understand the associations between human health effects and PM2.5. Outside of the lab I enjoy gardening, cooking/baking, movies, and various art projects. As a native East coaster, I’m
also trying to take full advantage of the opportunity to explore the West coast.

Recent Graduates:

The stands were packed - all to watch Staci hood Leah!
The stands were packed – all to watch Staci hood Leah!

Leah Chibwe, PhD. – Originally from Zambia, currently working as a PostDoc position at Environment Canada, Ottowa.

Oleski Motorykin, PhD. – Originally from Ukraine, currently working at CDC in Atlanta Georgia.

Cleo send off lunch fun

It's great when everyone can have fun together                                    Thanks for Checking us out!!