First of all, as the Co-cordinator for SHPEtina I would like to extend a warm welcome and express my gratitude to all of our guest speakers! We, as the SHPE/tina community, appreciate each and everyone of you for taking time from your busy schedules to talk to us about your experiences and give us insight into the professional world!
A message from our SHPE VP:
The following series of questions and topics are some to consider touching on and discussing. The meeting is usually limited to about an hour, prepare to talk for this time frame. You are not limited to these questions and do not need to answer all of them. Please feel free to share what you think is appropriate. Your audience is mostly young woman (~17-24 years of age) in undergraduate S.T.E.M. fields.
What kinds of questions to expect when speaking at our events:
- Where did you grow up?
- Where did you go to school (Major and year you graduated)?
- Why did you choose your major and university?
- Why did you decided to go to graduate school or work in industry?
- Who were the major influencers in your life?
- Did you have a mentor? If so how did you pick them and grow that professional relationship?
- Do you do research? If so share what you do.
- Do you like your current job? What kind of jobs have you had in the past?
- Why did you change jobs, positions, etc.?
- How did you go about making that shift?
- Who are you, what do you like to do on your free time?
- Commitments, involvement?
- Work life balance?
- Share an experience/s when you realized that your gender or race/ethnicity or sexuality had an impact on your career/life
- How did this make you feel?
- How did it impact your life?
- How did you overcome it?
- What advice would you give someone that is going through something similar.
- What does it mean to be professional to you?
- How can this be accomplished?
- Advice to young woman?
- How do you balance everything going on in your life (work, relationships, teaching, family, etc.)?
- How have your experiences brought you where you are in your career today?