Beginning of my Summer Sea Scholar Internship with Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

As a Summer Sea Scholar, my primary duties will be working in the science communication aspect of the Shellfish and Estuarine Habitat Assessment of Coastal Oregon (SEACOR) Program in the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) by translating outreach documents into Spanish. I hope that this project will involve the Oregon Spanish-speaking community in the enjoyment of the state’s natural areas and activities. 

Being my first week on the job, the on-boarding process has me doing a lot of reading on the topic to get specific context on what I will be working on. It has been very interesting learning about shellfish ecology in the Pacific Northwest and how Oregonians interact with these marine organisms. 

Having linguistically diverse outreach will inform a larger audience of the Pacific Northwest’s marine environment, regulations, activities, and ODFW’s work. It may interest Spanish-speakers to get more hands-on experiences with environmental science and perhaps inspire future scientists. This project aligns well with the ODFW mission of enhancing Oregon’s natural areas for use and enjoyment by present and future generations. As an organization that encourages discovery and scientific understanding within Oregon’s coastal communities, the Oregon Sea Grant’s mission supports the goals of my project. I’m excited to get started!

Thanks for reading!

5 thoughts on “Beginning of my Summer Sea Scholar Internship with Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

1. Shellfish topic seems so interesting and I am so proud that, with your help, this knowledge will reach diverse communities in Oregon. Hope to hear more about shellfish as I understand it plays an important role in the culture of the Oregon coast!

2. It is an important initiative to provide more information to the community how to conserve, protect, and participate in recreation of shellfish in a proper way.

3. What an opportunity for Hispanics from Oregon to be able to gain insight into information they would otherwise be unable to comprehend. This opens doors and interest to future scientists. This project and what it presents will certain be enticing. Looking forward to future information on shellfish. Thank you for the invite to wonderful knowledge.

4. Kelly, what an amazing opportunity!! This organization is also very lucky to have you working with them! I am sure that with your knowledge you are going to be able to expand the reach of this project!

5. Agree with previous comments – this is important work that combines knowledge of marine systems and organisms with cultural awareness. The ODFW shellfish program is luck to have you on board, and I’m thrilled that OSG was able to make this project happen for you this summer. Can’t wait to read more about it!