Coos Bay, OR IN, Pawnee

Last week I talked plenty about my first impressions of Coos Ba(e) so I think I’m going to use the time this week to discuss my job, the workplace, and my project for the summer. So the main focus of my project is to acquire and compile professional images of the South Coast of Oregon to be used for marketing purposes. Currently, I’m assisting in a Travel Oregon grant with the city of Gold Beach to hire some local photographers to complete a photo project that seeks to highlight the “dopeness” of the South Coast (not actual quotes from contract). The grant has specific images that they want to capture but the main subject matter focuses on outdoor recreation, natural features, and wildlife characteristic of Oregon’s South Coast. Steps to getting the ball rolling have involved looking through a good amount of professional photographer websites, writing up contracts, and making calls to as well as meeting the photographers. It’s awesome to look at the different styles of all these photographers and kind of determine based on that whether they could really capture what we’re looking for with the project. If they’re within our budget is also kind of an important deciding factor. But yeah, this aspect of the job has been pretty sweet for sure.

Miles about to send that dimpled ball to school

Another pretty sweet part of the position is being able to meet and connect with people I never would have met in a thousand years. For instance, last Friday, my boss Miles and I visited the La Kris Inn in Bandon to meet with the owners who also happen to be photographers, Susan and Steve Dimmock. What was supposed to be a short business meeting turned into a three hour meet and greet with a side of business. They were disgustingly kind, their inn is really cute, and their photography is dope! They will be taking pictures for us for the Photo Project and I will possibly be able to join them for a few nights to watch them do their thing, so I’m super stoked for that. If you got time you should definitely check them out at http://www.susandimock.com/ and  http://www.stevedimock.com/. On Wednesday, I was lucky enough to play my first ever game of golf at the Bandon Dunes Golf Reserve. Tim Scahill, the Digital Marketing Specialist of the reserve, took Catie, Miles, and I out of the office for a few hours to slap a few dimpled balls. I sucked immensely but it was still great fun getting to know Tim and the view was spectacular. But yeah, there’s a good amount of socializing amidst all this work which is something that I really enjoy.

Since starting the job two weeks ago we have had a wild amount of meetings (11 to be exact). And I’m not just talking about meetings with like two or three people, I’m talking full conference room, Parks and Rec-esque meetings that usually have a wide variety of individuals ranging from Oregon Fish & Wildlife to mountain-biking clubs. Literally, the first day after meeting Miles, Catie and I sat in on a meeting for the South Coast Tourism Steering Committee. This committee is comprised of individuals from a number of different organizations, all with the intent on promoting tourism for the South Coast. An hour into that meeting and I realized that I was in the show Parks and Rec and that Miles was a less-stached Ron Swanson. I guess that makes me Tom Haverford? But yeah, while these meetings can sometimes be lengthy and I might not be as informed about the topic of debate as the other characters, they are extremely enriching because it makes me realize just how many people from different walks of life/areas of expertise/job positions it takes to help solve relevant issues. Everyone’s voice and perspective is unique and needed. Don’t you forget that!

Parks & Rec doesn’t have conference rooms like this

On a separate note, yesterday was Independence Day. The Fourth of July has never really been a favorite holiday, mostly because I would spend the majority of my summers in Germany where they surprisingly weren’t too into the whole fireworks/”I love America” scene. Last year’s 4th was the first one I had spent in the US in many years and it made for a pretty awful day so needless to say I was skeptical about how this 4th would fare. Well, I’m happy to tell you that the day was dope. Now that I’m a working stiff I don’t really have the luxury of sleeping in so I made sure to make the most of my day off by lying in bed till a hefty 10:30am. I bought a grill here recently so I figured Independence Day was as good a day as any to test it out. I invited over the other SeaGrant scholars in the area. They cruised over with some of their friends and we just listened to The Growler’s City Club and ate some lowkey bloody burgers (it was my first time grilling give me a break). But it was still tasty! One of my personal goals this summer was to become a Grill Master and while I’m a long shot away from even being called a Grill Padawan it’s nice to have finally started this flavorful journey. Later in the evening our little group made its way to Bastendorff Beach where we set up a bonfire and just enjoyed the rogue fireworks show put on by all the loose, lit locals. I had never experienced fireworks like that in my life. Literally every minute from 8-11pm, I was twisting and turning my neck so as not to miss even one of the countless fireworks that were being sent off up and down the coast. At one point I walked down the beach just to take it all in. People were drunk and happy, their unintelligible voices drown out from the constant scream of fireworks. Colorful lights sporadically spattered across the sand, giving details to the dark for just a few short seconds. If there was ever a time where I felt like I was no longer in California, I would say it was at that moment.

Sunset on Monday night at SWOCC

Bing, Bang, Booms @ Bastendorff

THANKS CATIE FOR THE DOPE PIC

2 thoughts on “Coos Bay, OR IN, Pawnee

1. Hmm Tom Haveford or Andy Dwyer? Definitely not Jerry:) I’m glad to hear you are getting to mix in some socializing in with your work. Sounds like you need to practice BBQ’ing a few more times, so you impetus to continue to gather with other summer scholars. It also sounds like you are making some headway on pinning down some professional photographers and learning to navigate the processes for working with a University, nonprofit, and on a grant. I didn’t get the chance to sneak out and watch any fireworks, so I appreciate the pictures!

2. It’s great to hear that Miles is making sure you are included in all of the proceedings he is involved with. Even though it means a lot of meetings, it is a great glimpse into what working for an organization such as Sea Grant or WRCA is really all about and what people do day to day. It also sounds like Miles is definitely making time for some fun, which is equally as (if not more) important. Awesome photos from fourth of July!